• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This one has me puzzled...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clash

My wife has her computer about 5 feet from mine. I have a SoundBlaster Live! sound card in hers. I tried to play "The Sims" on her puter tonight, and the music was fine, but any other sounds that came through were fuzzy "Noise" and nothing else.

I reinstalled the driver for the Soundblaster, same thing...
I took out the Soundblaster and used the built in Audio AC97 that is built into the Motherboard. Same thing, music "All music, mp3's whatever" play fine. But VOX files are crap. With the Built in AC97 and The soundblaster both.

I then tried a completely different game, same results! What's up with that!
I then tried the games on MY computer, and they ran fine....

It's not the speakers, i have both computer run through my home stereo. But only one of us can be using the sound at a time. And like i said, The games sound was fine on my computer. Music and most sounds on Her computer are fine. Until you go to play a game that has speech in it.

Any idears? I aint seen this one before....

I get it sometimes too, and I don't really know a fix (I've researched alot, there's no cure).

It most likely has to do with IRQ settings, and if you're using Windows 2k/XP you won't be able to fix it without doing a reinstall of the O/S. A less severe option is moving the card to a different PCI slot, but that rarely works out for me.

I dont know what it is, i have pulled the card and used just the built in sound on the motherboard. It does it too... dunno

Maybe you could look for a BIOS update that might fix something. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

-YB

Back