• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got an WMPM, when i was guaranteed an XMPM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

Ok, i just got a wmpm dlt3c......I was guaranteed an xmpm. I really dont want to screw around with shipping it back and waiting on a new one, but I will if there is a real noticable difference between the 2.

Is there a difference???

In most cases, it should make very little difference. However, there have been some reports of the WPMW doing 100-200mhz worse than the XPMW. How much that matters, is up to you.

In my situation my wpmw did much worse then my xpmw

The wpmw was having a hard time being stable at 2500mhz even at 1.875 vcore while on the otherhand my xpmw is stable at 2500mhz at 1.825vcore and maxxes out at 2650mhz. THe wpmw could not do one mhz over 2500 and since i bought two (one for me and one for a friend who wanted a 2.2ghz machine) I kept the xpmw.

Did you order from excaliberpc.com? If so i would call them up and tell them that you want to get what you bought and that they you want them to ship first and when you get the new CPU you will ship yours back.

I don't think there should be that big of a difference, but if you are worried about it, you should ship it back and get what you were guaranteed. I think the WPMW's aren't doing as well as the XPMW, but it isn't all that big of a difference.

my W is rock stable at 2500Mhz but doesn't seem to want to budge an inch over that...hmph. Oh well, 2.5Ghz is fast enough for me, and I have seen very few XPMWs doing any better.

I bought from that same site and ad... I too got a WPMW... I guess Xoxide is running a bit of a scam.... even my packing slip is labelled XPMW but it's not what's inside!

I have a W as well. it has been rock solid at 2375 @ 1.75Vcore and have just now moved it to 2400 and will see what happens ;)

Although I dont know what the 4 letters relate to - here is what I do know and is the same throughout any manufacturing process. You will get small variations between chips on the same wafer, you will get somewhat larger variations between chips from wafers from the same batch and you will get even bigger variations from wafers from different batches. Therefore the biggest variation is likely from those produced on different weeks so that would be the most critical part of the stepping to check.

I too got a WMPW instead of an XPMW from xoxide. I paid $60 for an X and got W. Any, they replied to my email and stated that they knew that they sent a W. THey said it's basically the same, how is WMPW same from XPMW. Those BAS#%$%@#, they don't even have the decency to let us know before they ship the wrong item. Anyway , they are out of stock so I decided to keep the chip. I managed 11*192 = 2111 Mhz at 1.5 V. This is better than my old 0312 TPMW so I think I am going to keep it to avoid the hassle.

I am limited to my a7v333 so I cannot test the max of this chip. For some reason, my system hangs over 2.2 Ghz regardless of vcore voltage. I pass memtest at 2.3 Ghz but windows hangs when using P95 at 2.3 Ghz. I may need a more powerful supply. I am using a sparkle 350W.

Get your **** from Excaliberpc.com next time. I got what I ordered. :) ... an XPMW. Needless to say, I haven't overclocked it yet, but that's simply because I received it in the mail yesterday. They were even quick shipping considering I paid via money order.

-Frank

Ok, the only reason i decided to buy one was because x was "supposedly" the best. But, since they sent me a w instead, I'll just call and bring it to their attention because i dont really want to go through the whole damn hassle of returning it. Maybe they'lll give me free shipping with my next purchase or some x-points.

btw, I'm getting 2.3 at 1.7.......not bad considering I'm used to my 1600+ agoia y

have you tried around 1.65 to see if it is stable...my 310 W could do 2350 at 1.65v's on my dead 8RDA+...this was on air cool also...

I found the problem with my mobo. I had to set the auto shut off to manual. problem with 1017 bios

now :

0310 WMPW 12*192 = 2.3Ghz @1.7V prime95 stable 47C

I'll do so more ocing and post results later. I'll keep this chip and return the 0312 to Amex.

I have both an X and a W and both are good overclockers. I've never pushed the voltage on each over 1.7 and they both do 2.3gHz , no problem. My motherboard is now a bit flakey and my 2100 memory is old and slow compared to the latest stuff, so I haven't been able to compare them further. However, having a good system around these chips with a high current PS and good cooling is key to get good numbers.

I'm going to get a new Nforce2 board and then I'll get back to pushing these beasts.

I think that your W will do fine. Dont' worry about it, they made a mistake, just bring it to their attention so they won't do it again.

Back