• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jenova

hey can someone tell me wot the vcore is and wot it does and r there any tutorials on upping it
????

The vcore is the voltage going to the CPU. There should be an option to increase it in the options menu in your BIOS that lets you change the FSB and Multiplier. A lot of times upping the vcore will give you stability with an overclock that otherwise was not stable.

Raising the Vcore can potentially cause damage. It will always raise the processor's temperature, and in the case that your cooling isn't up to it, actually be detrimental to stability. It can also greatly reduce the life of your processor. But as long as you're careful, not much can go wrong.

ok rite will the vcore fix this
i took it upto 1.2 and it worked the first nite
then it wouldent boot up again
will upping the vore fix this and is their a limit i should go upto??/

To test for max overclocking, CPU clock is increased (bigger step at beginning and few MHz step at the end). And when the system becomes unstable, you can increase Vcore by 25 mV stepwise to see whether it can make the CPU to run faster so that the system can become stable again.

Repeat the above until high Vcore is reached to a point that cannot go higher or CPU die temperature reaches to 50 C. From experience, 1.9V should be OK for typical Tbred B overclocking, while keeping die temp under control (under 50-55 C loaded, and stable system). Good HSF is needed to keep temp low.

There are different level of stability. Minimum is that it can boot in the operating system and run Sandra CPU. Prime95 is considered to be a reasonable way for CPU stability and stress test.

Overclocking is a process, not by sudden boosting the Vcore and hope it will go to 2.5 GHz. Then it would not blow up the CPU. Don't sudden jump Vcore by multiple steps since you will lose sight of the CPU stability and die temperature increases.

Last edited:
According to the AMD datasheet for model 8: datasheet link

In Chapter 8,

Quoted:
"The AMD Athlon XP processor model 8 should not be subjected to conditions exceeding the absolute ratings, as such conditions can adversely affect long-term reliability or result in functional damage."

The absolute rating for Vcore = Vcc_core_dc_max + 0.5 V

Vcc_core_dc_max = Vcc_core_nominal + 0.05 V
Vcc_core_ac_max = Vcc_core_nominal + 0.15 V

Vcc_core_nominal = 1.50 V for DLT3C
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.60 V for DUT3C
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.65 V for DKT3C

E.g. 1700 DLT3C
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.5 + 0.05 = 1.55 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.55 + 0.5 = 2.05 V

The numbers are the same for model 10 (Barton).
So for Barton,
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.65 V
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.65 + 0.05 = 1.70 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.70 + 0.5 = 2.2 V

The above is based on my interpretation. Pls read the datasheet, and make your judgement.

Back