• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4 or 3.06

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeezecat

unfortanly im not able to take the 800 fsb finacial plunge

i was wondering if i should go with the2.4 or the 3.06 with ht???
there a ludicrist difference in price.. is the 3.06 worth the money doe ht have that much advantage?? the 2.4 i see is hitting some inpressive clock speed

Im trying my best not to bore you old heads with the typical newbie stuff i understand all the overclocking stuff, its just that i just built a new system when i started the 533 fsb was it top of the line so i would like to complete and se were intel goes im almost don i just need processor ram and video card.. iknow it sounds like alot but ive put this hole system together from scratch. If i dont say so myself for build my first system i looks and performe wonderrful.. if you want i can post some pic if i can figure out how its my first rig

What 1.8 do you currently have? If it's a Northwood and if you have at least a 2.4 gig overclock going, then be happy with that and save your cash for a new system. Don't make much sense to spend money and upgrade if you're on a budget. If you have an old Willamette 1.8 and can't get a decent overclock, then sure, go ahead and get the 2.4B. Either way, I personally don't think the 3.06 expense is worth the money just for HT. Heck, if you want HT, get a 2.4C and an Abit IS7 mobo for about the same price as the 3.06 CPU and then sell your old combo. Ok, I guess you'd have to get two sticks of better RAM too.

I have the 3.06 but comparing it to the 2.4 ,hmmm , not sure if I could really answer the question.
The 3.06 on air will hit 3.3 - 3.6 w/ HT
The 2.4b will hit with the good stepping will hit 3.2 - 3.6 w/o HT

How much the HT makes a difference I couldnt really tell but comparing it without HT the 2.4b @ 180- 190 FSB would kick the 3.06 @ 150 FSB. So I am not sure if the HT will make up for the lack of FSB you can get with the 2.4b

Tread

P.S. : Next time you make a thread less than an hour about so many views but no replys just wait and give it some time , we do have other lives to live. The views could have been from new members that might or might not know. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200956

Tread makes a good point. The higher FSB of the 2.4B would probably make up for the lack of HT.

thanx for the advise bat boy ur setup sound like a goo way to go..
just amatter of the loot wife and two kids ya know

tread70 what kind of air coling are you talkin about stock or after market i have slk 900u w/ tornado fan.. also came up with a custom install that droped my temp about 2 degress c.. can show you picks if u want

Note My temo are kinda wierd bios and mbm say 21c idle and 28 load seem really low for air, mobo came with hard ware doctoe that say 43. idle and 50 load with 200mhz o/c not sure wtch one to trust everyone says bios and mbm but not sure any help with this woul be appricated

I have the mcx4000 Swifty and a tornado 80 on top w/ 7 case fans (6-80 mm panaflo's and a 92 mm panaflo on a nexus controller) and the 2 80's in the PSU. WOuldn't mind seeing the pics as I'm sure most would like to see new ways of doing things.

Edit: You must have the Willy 1.8 with just a 200 mhz OC?

sorry im to new for attachments i can email them if you want but heres what i did

After snaping the cheap standoff with very little pressure i took the x-plate the goees behind the mobo and drilled the holes out were you would normally screw in the standoffs, with the hole drilled out i then placed the matching size bolts the back of the x-plat and throught the back of the moboand through the p4 retension bracket (for proper alinghment and spacing of heat sink) and finally through the p4 adapter brackets that came with the slk 900 and tightend them down i a criss cross pattern with nylon locking nut

This setup is almost identcal to the danger den setup except for the p4 retnsion bracket is used

work really well for me

Note i also used this setup on the swiftech 400 my previouse heat sink i sold to my nephew

Back