• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Celeron Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

I'm thinking of making a dual celeron gaming server for my small LAN network. I'm wondering if having a dual processor system would distribute the load of hosting the game? I have a celeron 466 and 700, so would these work together to any advantage?
I'm planning on getting a mobo with integrated graphics just to keep down on the cost.

Only Celerons at speeds of 366MHz or below work in SMP AFAIK.

And I think its the BP6 board that you need.

From the sticky:

Can I Use Celerons In SMP?
Not all of Celerons work in SMP.
1. early Celerons (also slot 1 and socket 370) till 500 MHz work in SMP
2. Celerons base on Coppermine core from 533 MHz to Tualatin core 1.3 GHz are SMP disable
(All Mendocino Celerons (333a-533a) are SMP capable even though Intel officially denies it.)

Yeah also in order to get the early celerons to work you also need a motherboard for socket 370's that is specifically designed to work with old medicino Celerons, 533 and slower. MSI built a board don't remember the name, and Abit's BP6 will do the trick, these are the only two I'm aware of. There are also slocket converters that will trick slot one mobo's to run mendicio celerons in dual mode.

Me I used to own an Abit BP6 a decent motherboard, though really out dated by todays standards. But its cheap I see them running on e-bay for $50ish. The most popular chips were the 300a, and the 366 for this board. The 300a's would all pretty much do 450mhz, and quite a few of the 366's would o/c to 550. I had two 366's they would run at about 525 which is much more common than 550.

BTW the BP6 does not have integrated graphics, and I don't believe the MSI board did either.

Forgot to mention, the board I used was an ASUS P2B-DS with the Celerons in Slotket adapters and the P3s obviously in the Slot 1 flavour.

Yeah there are a fair number of slot 1 boards that will run Mendocino's in dual configuration, so long as you get the right slockets.

The MSI you guys refer to is the 694D (which is a Via board, BTW) and only certain revisions will run Mendocino core Celerons in SMP. Earlier revisions only, IIRC.

So, I can't work the two together at any improvement in speed of hosting (I'll be running bots)?

I guess 700mhz is enough for a server, but can anyone help me with picking good (meaning cheap) parts. I'm planning on running this as just a game server, so could I also run most game hosts of a linux based machine? I know there are linux servers, but how exactly do they work since most games wont work on linux.

Hmm gameserver has nothing to do with clients. AS the matter of fact, game server dont even runs the game. It just do the job of linking clients and distributing data. Thats why gameserve is intensive in CPU and RAM.

So in summary, what OS gameserver runs on has nothing to do with what OS clients on. If you runs HL game server (any CS, DOD...) 700 is enough . For RAM i recommend 256mb , a small HD(1.2gig is enough) and a good NIC. You good to go.

I runs a CS server(16ppl) myself(Piii700mhz, 398MB), i found Linux is the only way to go for gameserver. It has the best resource management anyway. Beside you dont need keyboard, mouse and monitor if you're familiar with linux. You can setup linux thro network or comile the source on your comp then put the HD in and fire up (remeber to compile sshd and setup the nic).

The avg CPU and Ram %usage with HL server is 40% and 20%
***note: that is with Ping booster***

Ans AFAIK your setup can host 16ppl server for MOHAA, UT2k3 and 12ppl BF1942.

Hope that helps..have any doubts just ask
MameXP,
PS. dual cpus WONT help you unless you host more than 1 gameserver.

I was looking to run about the same games.
Thanks for the help, I'm going for a simple system, I'll probably set it up in a plastic tool case with ventilation so I can carry it along my case.

Which do you think is the best version of Linux for a game server?

Bensa said:
I was looking to run about the same games.
Thanks for the help, I'm going for a simple system, I'll probably set it up in a plastic tool case with ventilation so I can carry it along my case.

Which do you think is the best version of Linux for a game server?

Debian. Set up a stripped down, lean and mean Debian installation. Apt-Get rules.

If you're familiar enough with Linux, that is. If you're not (guessing no) it's possible to use a simpler distro and install only the packages you need and disable services that you don't need. Won't result in as lean of an install as with Debian but it'll function.

Back