• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FInally have pics of my new Rig... (5 - 60k pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Nothing special... A crooked heater core that will be changed out eventually, Maze 4, Maxi-Jet... The usual. Before you say it, I know that I could get better flow if I did this or that. I just decided to do it this way to make bleeding easier.

rig1.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig4.jpg

rig5.jpg

Nice Setup Man!

Comments:

-Is that a Delta Fan??!?
-Ibet that Plexi Shroud (looks like one), was hard to make, no?

Shroomer, with you having the full tower I would be looking at placing the core and fans above the P/S and using the first two top 5 1/4" bays as your intakes and exhausting out the back. I wanted to build this setup, but I decided I did not have the room for such a large case. Would take some long shroud, but I think the shroud would be ideal in that location.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a 84 CFM delta... There are 2 of them. At 7 volts my power supply and video card fan are louder.

The plexi shroud was super easy. I drew up the dimentions and took it to a local plastics store (I bet there's one near you). They cut all the pieces and only charged $10 for both shrouds. I cut the fan holes with a Rotozip and drilled the mounting holes. From there I superglued the pieces together, then used Goop to attach to the heatercore.

They are a bit small and airflow is suffering. It will be changed out for a more conventional core at a later time. I don't want to cut the holes in the case sides as my measuring has not been up to par lately.

Thanks!

I do like that plexi duct. Why didn't you mount the rad above the PSU, I only ask because I was looking into buying the matrix case, basically the same one, and wonder if it will fit there with a little hole cutting.

Dodge, I'm overconcerned with leaks. I'd rather have all of my components low in the case as to minimize any damage that my occur. Good idea otherwise! I had considered something similar.

Something like this or intaking from the front. Once you get over the thought of leaks you will be ok....The only drawback I see is you should flipped the T-fitting and have the T going to the top. You have the water-flow going through a 90 degree fitting.

case.jpg

Last edited:
I MIGHT try something like that in the future. It's been a lot of work and a lot of trouble up to now. I might take some time off and enjoy what I have. Sadly, the more I think about it, the more I like the ide, though.

Nothing wrong with placing the core sideways and cutting the case. I do believe I was the first to build a setup just this way. I like it and my new case will have the core mounted the same way.

You're absolutely right there's nothing wrong with it... You inspired me to do it that way (and the fact that Autozone only had the F150 heater cores).

...There's nothing wrong with it when you measure correctly and cut your holes in the right spot. I've done 2 holes wrong recently and am a little scared to screw up more.

Mounting the fans and core sideways is really very easy to do. The first thing you want to do is mount the fan/core to the motherboard tray. Leave about 1/2" of clearance from the bottom of the case and the bottom of the core so you can place foam as an insulator. Mark the four fan holes using the fan as a guide on the motherboard tray. Next draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. Now you will have and X in the center. Now drill the four corner holes with an 1/8” bit. Also drill a 1/8” in the center X. Most 120mm fans have a center dimple on the fan blade. Mount the dimple side against the motherboard tray. On the outside of the tray you will see the center hole, this aligns with the center dimple of the fan. Take a compass and set it so it will draw a 4.5” hole. Place the pointed side of the compass into the fan dimple and draw a circle on the motherboard tray. You now have a perfect mark to begin cutting the hole. Once you have the hole cut out, you place the side cover on and repeat this same procedure for the outside cover. You can use this same method on the other side provided that you make the shrouds deep enough so the complete package of the fans/shrouds/core are near the width as the inside of the case. In my setup I made a Plexiglas faceplate to mount on the fan to attach a foam seal.

I already cut my Mobo tray and that's why the core is crooked. Next time I will do better whatever place I decide to put the core.

Thanks for all the help, Dodge!

Here is a photo of the center dimple I am talking about so the next time you will have a little better luck. You will use the dimple as your centerline for all cuts. If nothing else it will help others in doing this mod. I plan to do a complete write up with detailed photos from start to finish on my next system.

P0001468.jpg

wannaoc said:
Dodge whats the small hole in the bottom of the fan hole in your last post?

Before I mounted my core sideways I had the core turned 90 degree's from what you see in the photo, the air was coming into the core from the front bezel. That 1" hole you see was placed there so I could push on the tab to remove the front bezel. Today it serves no purpose. Here are a few photos that show the core in the other direction.

Old_Case_Setup.jpg

Front.jpg

DodgeViper said:
Shroomer, with you having the full tower I would be looking at placing the core and fans above the P/S and using the first two top 5 1/4" bays as your intakes and exhausting out the back. I wanted to build this setup, but I decided I did not have the room for such a large case. Would take some long shroud, but I think the shroud would be ideal in that location.

Yeah, how come you cramed it in the bottem of the case? Other then that it looks nice. How do you like your Maze4?

and where would the fan go on that super long shroud. i have that same case and am thinking about mounting the pump and rad up on the top with a small res so that i have a nice open bottom. The problem i see though is the pump and rad would be the highest points in the case adn the bubbles would get them

Shroomer, I hate when this happens. I try to show you how to do something and then it turn’s from everyone admiring your case to me showing you pictures how it’s done to those asking questions about my case. Sorry for the highjack…

wannaoc, click on the link in my SIG. and you will see the entire layout of my system.

madcow235, that drawing is not to scale. I would place the core more in the middle and place the fans at each end of the core with longer shrouds. Also you would then bleed the system outside of the case then install it. Once you have a sealed system you do not lose water or gain air….

Back