hardware audio, that big a difference?

I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix
    Ethical ancient-folder for Team 32. I'm watching you!

Advisor and supporter within young peoples
    depression and anxiety group. Drop me a PM
    if you're stuck in the rut and need a boot up.

Rate threads you like.

Re: hardware audio, that big a difference?

Originally posted by flixotide
    I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix
    well it won't make a massive difference but for someone who cares about audio fidelity it would be a good idea to use hardware

It generally will sound better using hardware audio and you'll probably pick up 5 fps in games with EAX.