• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hardware audio, that big a difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix

flixotide said:
I am looking around a bit on Toms, Anandtech and a f ew game sites, for benchmarks comparing different audio setups in games like UT, MOHAA or other games for that matter.

I'm wondering how big a difference in performance it makes to run a standard AC97 chipset, Nvidia APU, Creative APU's etc.

I don't feel a big difference from running software audio to hardware audio on my Nforce2 board from Leadtek, and so I wondered if there really is a difference apart from the quality of the sound.

Cheers, Flix

well it won't make a massive difference but for someone who cares about audio fidelity it would be a good idea to use hardware

It generally will sound better using hardware audio and you'll probably pick up 5 fps in games with EAX.

Back