• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with those screamers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was wondering, but do you think it is static pressure or cfm which is the more important factorwhen inflating the skirt, because possibly you could use a blower rather than an axial fan to obtrain greater static pressure, but that comes at the exspense of cfm, that extra pressure could give more lifting power and therefore a greater load which the vehicle can support, and youcould add more batteries.

JFettig said:
I been real busy, should get waterpics in the next couple days.

the 9v batteries, they werent even close to fresh when I got them. In that pic those were fresh batteries just to give it optimal pressure, mine were almost dead, they die REALLY fast, and get really hot.
If you see the volt meter on the craft, it says like 13v, thats from origionally 18v. plus over the time of about 10 minutes it would probably make it down to 11.5 or so..

Ill see what I can do, Im mostly working on designing a new craft with real propellers and 18000rpm electric motors.

Jon

Hehe

IM ordering parts to do the same.. Three 300 CFM 12V fans to give it lift... then four fans on top facing different directions controlled by a RC car remote control to give it direction... still trying to find an RC car with a suitable battery though

JFettig,

Do yourself a favor and put together an article on this project for the O/C home page. You could win $100 or some other stuff. This is definitely a cool idea for a mod (ha ha,... sorry).

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx: computer fans are NOT the way to go on this. Its far from it, they are really inneficient for this kind of thing. You could get much better results from propellers and rutters for direction and blowers or similar for lift.

If you take those fans. Its gonna take 2 of them to confensate for the weight of the rest, and one to lift it. its pretty sad.

thats a good idea bout the article, but soon itll have nothign to do with computers... none of my fans will be computer fans. Theres not enough 'filling' to make it a good article. its like saying, take a peice of styrofoam, cut some holes, put fans on those holes, make a skirt and BABOOM! you have a hovercraft;)

Jon

I know :)

I found blowers with 300 CFM taht weigh 1/2 LB :D

Since they take 12V its good cause i can find an old RC car with a 12V motor....

I'm also thinking bout having a small submersible propeller that i put underneath to make it go faster.. kind a a hovercraft boat type thing :D

JFettig said:
xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx: computer fans are NOT the way to go on this. Its far from it, they are really inneficient for this kind of thing. You could get much better results from propellers and rutters for direction and blowers or similar for lift.

If you take those fans. Its gonna take 2 of them to confensate for the weight of the rest, and one to lift it. its pretty sad.

thats a good idea bout the article, but soon itll have nothign to do with computers... none of my fans will be computer fans. Theres not enough 'filling' to make it a good article. its like saying, take a peice of styrofoam, cut some holes, put fans on those holes, make a skirt and BABOOM! you have a hovercraft;)

Jon

"What do you guys do with your old screaming 60s?"
Put them in a computer to cool the parts.
I have a powerful 80mm Sunon fan(the same type as those used on Britney HSFs), and I want to use it to cool my Pentium 4, but the HSF fan in my PC is a 92mm.
I can probably put it in my PSU, but I don't want to void the warranty.

xb-70 said:
I was wondering, but do you think it is static pressure or cfm which is the more important factorwhen inflating the skirt, because possibly you could use a blower rather than an axial fan to obtrain greater static pressure, but that comes at the exspense of cfm, that extra pressure could give more lifting power and therefore a greater load which the vehicle can support, and youcould add more batteries.

whoa, I misseed this post somehow,

and yes, static pressure is a REALLY big key to this. without it, its pointless. These fans I use dont have that much, and it looses a lot of airflow.

as for water pics. My parrents took off to alaska for a cruze, I just remembered my dad took the cam..... It does work, it bounces and whatnots and kinda gets wet....
Im droping this design, this craft will be retired really soon, if not already.

Jon

JFettig said:

whoa, I misseed this post somehow,

and yes, static pressure is a REALLY big key to this. without it, its pointless. These fans I use dont have that much, and it looses a lot of airflow.

as for water pics. My parrents took off to alaska for a cruze, I just remembered my dad took the cam..... It does work, it bounces and whatnots and kinda gets wet....
Im droping this design, this craft will be retired really soon, if not already.

Jon

SEND IT TO ME :p

how bout you come pick it up:D Im in willmar!

Jon

Hey, I'd try getting the steering mechanism off an RC car, and use it to add rudders... and add an extra fan right before the rudders for propulsion. CFM will matter more than static pressure for the propulsion fan.

P.S. Panaflo makes some higher static pressure fans....
How's 6.8mm H2O?

P.P.S. I would suggest getting a few 9V NiMH batteries. 9V energizers aren't cheap.

Last edited:
About those blowers, are there any places which sell just the blower not attached to any sort of device, many of the heatsink and fan stores dont sell blowers they just sell axial fans, radioshack has one model but its not great and their quality is not something to die for, id greatly appreciate a link

xb-70 said:
About those blowers, are there any places which sell just the blower not attached to any sort of device, many of the heatsink and fan stores dont sell blowers they just sell axial fans, radioshack has one model but its not great and their quality is not something to die for, id greatly appreciate a link

Haven't looked but www.rs-components.com has almost every thinkable electronic device...only prob is that they are ussually not exactly cheap.

Back