Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
    Batteries wise, you want ni-cads. Alkaline batteries don't handle the high current very well, thats why the 9v's got very hot. R/C Racing batteries are ni-cads and they only get warm while dishing out 30amps continous load. NiMH batteries are better than alkaline but still not as good as ni-cads.

Just Freeze It
    10 Year Badge
    What about patriot fans?

take the housing of of course.

Übercaffinated Member Caffinehog's Avatar
    Originally posted by Nickme90
    Batteries wise, you want ni-cads. Alkaline batteries don't handle the high current very well, thats why the 9v's got very hot. R/C Racing batteries are ni-cads and they only get warm while dishing out 30amps continous load. NiMH batteries are better than alkaline but still not as good as ni-cads.
    Yeah, but Nicads only last half as long as alkalines or NiMH. And NiMH batteries are lighter than alkaline or nicads.
    I suppose you could always go with Lithium Ion... but that's quite expensive and hard to find.

Originally posted by Caffinehog

Yeah, but Nicads only last half as long as alkalines or NiMH. And NiMH batteries are lighter than alkaline or nicads.
    I suppose you could always go with Lithium Ion... but that's quite expensive and hard to find.
    Laptops generally run on lithium ion. Just steal a laptop battery...
    I use an iBook. :)

That's a hovercraft? When I first saw it I thought you were making an air conditioned toilet seat!!!
    My systems:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6420 topped by Thermalright Ultra-120, 2GB Transcend DDR800, 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 16MB cache HD, 250GB WD IDE HD, 200GB Maxtor IDE HD, Lian-Li PC-7B case, EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @2200mHz, 1024 MB PC3200 RAM, 80GB Maxtor HD, 20GB Western Digital HD, AGP nVidia 6600GT, MSI K7N2 Delta, Custom Modded Case

FOLD for Team 32!

.......great idea zero....hmmm might hurt though

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Hmm, would this blower be any good for it? I can't find static pressure stats, though ...

http://www.casecooler.com/comacpublfan.html

Neat project, JFettig! -- Paul
    My heatware (macklin01)

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
    Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul

yeh the blower probably doesn't have enough pressure to lift the weight of the batteries and itself

True NiMD do have a higher capacity. I would say that if the fans and everything else, draw close to 10 amps go ni-cads else NiMH will be fine. Thinking about it more, hovercrafts proablly don't draw half as much as R/C cars so NiMH would proablly be a better choice.

On to the actual design of the hovercraft, I noticed in the picture, that your skirt went all the way to the middle with a few holes. You might find it better if the skirt didn't go as far in and had far more area to allow the air to escape. You probably know this, but the idea is that the skirt makes a loose seal to the ground and that air escapes all around the skirt. By making less flow restrictions, you might find that with the computer fans, it might hover better.

Heres some pages I thought you might find useful:-
    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/dav...Hovercraft.htm
    http://members.aol.com/modelhov2/index.html

Edit: One last thing, Also make the base bigger. You will not need a really high pressure fan if you make the base bigger. Specially if you use polystrene for the base, since the bigger the area, the more the weight is spread out.

Pressure=weight/area

You might have to add more fans if the base gets to big, but I leave you to experiment with that.
    Last edited by Nickme90; 06-14-03 at 02:14 PM.

10 Year Badge
    Originally posted by CamH
    Laptops generally run on lithium ion. Just steal a laptop battery...
    Or make a hover-laptop
    -= Maths Ninja =-

Official Modding Xaser III thread resurrecter.

"LIES! THE ONLY THING MORE AWESOME sounding THEN SEVERAL DELTAS AT 60+DB IS THE SCREAMING OF MERE MORTALS AS THEY GET TOO CLOSE!"
    -freakdiablo

Originally posted by IceMan3928
    put a couple of these guys on there

I must get me one of these

think of the air flowing through a rad....

Is it me or have they got 2 contrarotating blades?

that fan is loud though, i dont think id be able to stand it, but it would have excellent cooling power. As for the blades there is a moving set of blades which actually moves the air the blades that are on top in the picture are vanes which straighten (sp?) the airfolw and increase throughput.

Good luck getting NiMI's for this project.

For that money you can double NiCad's and add two more lifting fans and a drive fan :\

It's nice to dream though

The old philisophical question.

Expencive NiMi's with special hardware that have a long life, but drop off in power like a rock

Inexpencive NiCad's that require cheap basic chargers with less life, but a more drawn out and pronounced dropoff
    Toysrme257th - AIM about anything, anytime; including v6 turbos.
    World's second Lexus ES 300 Turbo!
    Why??? Because cars overclock better than computers...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...isc/Avatar.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4