• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which amd for oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thinkin about the thermaltake xaser case wit 7 fans and the best heatsink what ever that is.

get the new barton stepping it seems to be doing well:

barton 2500+ AQXEA 0319

and for HSF get slk800 + thermaltake smart fan 2

those are the steppings. They tell when the chip was made, and sort of what caste it was made from. Different steppings are better for overclocking.

where can i get a barton 2500 with AQXEA 0319 steppiings and should i get the Thermalright SLK-800(A) or Thermalright SLK-800(u) and can the barton 2500 actually be oced 2 higher speeds than the 2600+?

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you can get that. excaliberpc.com probably has them. As far as the slk800 the A is probably easier to mount. It just sort of snaps onto your mobo. The U needs to be screwed into the mobo, but it's a lot more move friendly, if you go to lan's a lot. They are both very good, so you won't lose if you go with either A or U. If you want something a little cheaper than the 800 or 900 you might get the thermalright sk7. It's also a very good heatsink, for not as much money. I'd suggest getting a smartfan II as well to put on the heatsink.

"and can the barton 2500 actually be oced 2 higher speeds than the 2600+?"

From what I've seen the 2500 barton can usually overclock to around 2.2-2.3 on air, with a good stepping. That also depends on many other variables, such as your memory, motherboard and don't forget luck..

noob_123 said:
what is AQXEA 0319 ?

AQXEA is the stepping...03 is the year it was made...19 is the week of the year it was made...

The XP2500's can usally get between 2.1 - 2.2...some people have reported a much higher OC then the average above with the 2500 0319's...almost all of the 319's which ever AMD CPU you get seems to be the best week to get...the 1700 319 get around 2.4 - 2.5 on air cool also...but the barton will still be a better performer because of the extra L2 cache...512 for the bartons...256 for the Tbreds...

Actually if you want the highest clock speed for under 150 bucks get the 1700 xpmw0310. It can usually go to 2.4-2.5 on air, again pending your mobo and ram..

does the extra cache on the barton make more of a dif then the faster speeds on the 1700?

do you want strickly a high OCer or one that will give the best performance with still a pretty high OC...

XP2500...good OCer...better performance...
XP1700...great OCer...wont perform as well as the barton...

example...a XP2500 OCed to say 2.3 or so will still out perform a 1700 running at 2.5...because of the added L2 cache the barton has...

I believe the extra cache provides a 5% difference in performance if the 1700 and the barton were at the same speed. So if you can get more than a 5% difference in the 1700 overclock then the 1700 would be better. I could be wrong about the 5% difference, I'm not really sure about the actual numbers, but it's not that big of a difference I don't think. Either way you're getting a good chip. I am very pleased with my 1700, but of course being an avid overclocker I would love to get my hands on a barton, then a 64 etc etc...

Back