• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VOODOO BaBy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
While I am awaiting my RMA to return I started to play around with an old VOODOO3500 I had sitting around.

Well, I own all the 3500's all but one 4500 and it's very close with the 5500's.

This is THE best score overall for a 4500

Service FutureMark Compare

top4500 score 1024x768

4500 1024x768

Did all the tricks, new active cooling (man those suckers run HOT!), BIOS flash(found some interesting pages in Chianese looking for .rom images), and of course OC'd it. Anybody planning on doing any cooling, flashing, and overclocking on their main card should try something like this first. It's good experience that may prevent problems on an expensive card.

Final clock speeds 210/210, card runs much cooler too.

And running Unreal Tournament, the 3500 is a very solid, averaging 70-110fps

:cool:

Last edited:
The Voodoo cards rule! I love my old Voodoo 3 2000, one of the best things I have ever bought! Nice 3dmark scores too.

How did you remove the heatsinks? I cant get the heatsink off my 2000...

Last edited:
MetalStorm said:
The Voodoo cards rule! I love my old Voodoo 3 2000, one of the best things I have ever bought! Nice 3dmark scores too.

How did you remove the heatsinks? I cant get the heatsink off my 2000...

Just removed the two expansion push pins. then heat with a hairdryer and pry it off with a flat blade srcewdriver and a creditcard underneath to protect the card. It came off alot easier than the hs from my Radeon8500 thats for sure.

But that's a 3500, not sure about yours.

Actually, that sucker was competing with the TNT2/TNT2 Ultra back in "the day". Its funny how 3dfx zombies always mention the great image quality on the 5500 series, because 3dfx was practically the last company to introduce the use of "whopping" 32 bit color.

Yes, the FutureMark scores are pretty laughable by today's standards, but 3DFX was the premier graphics card maker back then. They introduced FSAA and many other features that have led to the cards of today.

In starting this thread my main idea was to have people considering some form of card modding try it on a card such as this first. Good experience.

3DFX sold the majority of it's assets to NVIDIA in April 2001 for $55 millon.

Hehe nice. I like these kinds of extreme tweak efforts on older hardware. Amazing stuff is often pulled with hardware that doesn't represent a large investment anymore.

By the way, if it plays your fav. game that good, you've got nothing to worry about. Although UT2k3 is the future of course! :p

rogue3092 said:
Actually, that sucker was competing with the TNT2/TNT2 Ultra back in "the day". Its funny how 3dfx zombies always mention the great image quality on the 5500 series, because 3dfx was practically the last company to introduce the use of "whopping" 32 bit color.

The may have been last on 32 bit color, but they were the first with fsaa. And even modern cards really don't compete with the IQ of the 5500

El<(')>Maxi said:

Just removed the two expansion push pins. then heat with a hairdryer and pry it off with a flat blade srcewdriver and a creditcard underneath to protect the card. It came off alot easier than the hs from my Radeon8500 thats for sure.

But that's a 3500, not sure about yours.

Unfortunatly my Voodoo3 2000 doenst have any push pins, the heatsink is just stuck on there! I have tried prying it off with a pen knife, but it almost broke the blade!

Unfortunatly my Voodoo3 2000 doenst have any push pins, the heatsink is just stuck on there! I have tried prying it off with a pen knife, but it almost broke the blade!

I had a friend remove a heatsink off a GPU with a guitar string (flossing)

I was able to remove a heatsink off a TNT2 just by using a pair of vice-grips (gripped the heatsink on 2 opposite ends, and gave it a squeez, the heatsink flexed from the pressure and pretty muched popped off)

MetalStorm said:

You could always try the old freezer trick. Basicaly what you do is put the card in an anti-static or "Zip-Loc™"bag (pereferably anti-static), and toss it into the freezer for 20 to 30 mins. Or for however long you feel it needs to get the card to sub zero temps. Take the card out and using something like a credit card to protect the PCB, use a screwdriver or knife to pry the heatsink off. By freezing the thermal epoxy, it makes it brittle and easier to pry the heatsink off.

Back