• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you all hate IBM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axion

the poll is really leaning towards WD, but i always thought IBM 180GXP 120GB drive was meant to be the fastest drive around with unparralleled reliability...

its the drive i was gonna buy, but now i just dont know....

From what i have garnered from reading some of the threads for the short time i have been here, i think that when a drive gets a nickname like deathstar its bad, but ive really never had an IBM so i really cant pass judgement. However My counselor at camp said he bought a deathstar and RMA'd it 3 times and it still dosen't work. Despite all of this i think it was only one model which had all of those problems, the newer ones shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck :) xb-70

I dislike IBM because I had a drive die on me which meant I lost a lot of stuff. WD or Maxtor now for me, no problems with either yet....

Well i had to RMA my deathstar 60GXP 3 Times and all of them died within a year, im sure thats all sorted now and they probably are good drives now, but that disater called the 60GXP has put me off the for life.:rolleyes:

i think most of the people who had problems with the 60GXP drives didnt have any cooling on them. I have one that has been going for 2 years (1.5 in my computer, and the last 6 months in a friends) and its still working fine. But it was cooled all time.

I had a lot of problems with 60 GXP drives and 75 GXP drives.

I have had a lot of 120 GXP drives, though, that haven't given me any trouble.

WyrmMaster said:
i think most of the people who had problems with the 60GXP drives didnt have any cooling on them. I have one that has been going for 2 years (1.5 in my computer, and the last 6 months in a friends) and its still working fine. But it was cooled all time.

I had three die on me a little after a year running for each. (60gxp) All had adequate cooling.

Just feel lucky yours didn't die;) as for the deathstar name it came from the 70 gxp series. They are worse than the 60gxp's and even had a lawsuit because of them:eek:

I bought 2 gxp drives (15gig, 30gig). ran great for 2 yrs. then when I saw the windows message "running low on disk space", I delete some files and rebooted cause the system was running slow. Then it lived up to it's name "Deathstar". All I heard was click click click, and nothing more. All my files gone. Called ibm, they said to return the drive to raw state then reformat and reinstall system. Then after talking with em looking other possible ways to recover data, I got the feeling this happens often and will keep on happening. He gave me that answer way to quick. Like he gets these types of calls often. Works great, fast, but if using all the space on drive your dead. As far the cooling, this drive shouldn't need more cooling then other real drives (Maxtor, WD). Infact, I think that was their major selling point that this drive remains cooler with the new media glass discs I think. Put my old maxtor in and no poblems. I get that message of low disk space often(20gig), delete files and reboot and system back to normal. IBM sucks major arse. Didn't they get bought out, or going to be, by samsung? I see their support of drives lowering in the future.

They sold their hard drive business to Hitachi late last year.

Hitachi officially took over in January. I have RMA'd a couple 60 GXP's with Hitachi and their tech support is faster and more friendly than IBM.

Once again, though, I should stress that I have not had any problems with 120 GXP drives and I have about a dozen of them at work. My experience with them, so far, has been great. They're fast, quiet, and so-far, reliable.

I've had seagate, western digital and ibm drives die on me. I think death of drives should be taken model by model, rather then brand by brand. Currently all my drives are seagates, (for silence) but I could get an ibm if the particular model did'nt seem to have bigger reliability problems.

I'd agree, but most people get a little gun-shy after being burned by a particular manufacturer. The IBM problems extended for quite a period of time.

The IBM problems only applied to the 75 GXP and 60 GXP models, though.

The newer models (120GXP and 180GXP) haven't been bad, but a stigma is attached, so many people won't buy them.

I think it's a shame, since they are great performing, very quiet, and inexpensive drives.

Previous experience is what builds (dis)trust, whether this is scientifically sound or not.

I too lost a couple of IBM drives (75&60GXP). The 60GXP was supposed to be "fixed" or so was the word on the street at the time... some months and a purchase later the tune had changed...

WyrmMaster said:

I disagree i have 2 80 mm fan cooling the disks in my raid array
well now its just four wd disks after my last ibm 60 gxp died. the fans force cool air from outside the case over the disks which are cool to the touch.
I have 3 very old ibm disks out of a 386 dx 66 a p75 and a p100 all these systems were 24/7 all disks still are running just in diffrent pcs. (ok the p100 is siting next to me now and still works). i have 2 fujitsu disks which are about 4 years old again 24/7 with no cooling these babys feal hot but hay they work.
I actruly looked after the ibms and they died (i still know of some 60/75gxps that are runing in pcs i built but these are used for checking emails and not 24/7) if a disk fails with in 4 years then it was pants.

edit: not that i have any thing against ibm (im not picking on them cos theay are ibm) but the first dead disk i saw was an ibm that was by a power spike tho and that killed my ram too. the next disk was actuly only failing when i last saw it, it was a maxtor that was 4 years old from a mates 24/7 pc with no case fans i had the job of saving what i could.

Last edited:
well i guess WD or MAXTOR will do for me :)
i like the 180GXP but MAXTOR's ultra range has 8mb buffer compared to IBM's 2!

so for the same price might as well get more :D

Back