• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your Electric Bill like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

Just moved to a new house and for a month or so my bill was $70 or so. Now with my "fleet" of 10 machines it is up to $170. $100 a month appears like an expensive subscription to an addiction...

Moreover now that summer approaches my server room really heats up...

Last one was $224, and if history is any reference it will be about $350-400 by August, but $300 of that is entirely cooling costs. In early winter and spring when we don't need the heat or cooling the bills are about $90 with all of the same machines running.

My last electric bill for my apt. just doubled...summertime in the South you gotta expect it

energy companies tend to raise their rates a bit in summer when people use A/C more, and the gas company tends to raise rates in the winter when heaters are running.

My computers raises my parent's bill on average 50 dollars a month, and it makes my room hot too. It is good in the winter, though. When i move out i will put all of my computers on, as my room right now is not very big. My small room is hot enough as it is right now.

i seam to remmber a thread on this topic.

but i can't reember what area it was in? but it basicly boiled down to about $12.00 per 400W psu per month.

the main killer was the old style CRT monitors, even if you have them set to sleep thay still go thrw alot of power.

My 13 machines etc. has added around $35-50 or so to our bill which doubled it here in central KY. But we have gas for water heater and stove. On the other hand we run our ACs pretty much full time all summer as it gets very warm and really humid.

Cy

At one point I had between 11-14 systems running in my home. I compared my electric bill to a year prior when I only had 2 systems running and it was about $30 more.

elect. bill here is 250 or so every darn month..... 4 puters and 8 fish tanks then the okie summers and winters..... just have to pay it and move on.... the monthly ave. programs here offered by the elect. and gas companys take the sting out of it abit....

psy

I thought about going for one of those, but it doesn't work around here. They wanted to fix my bill at $275 a month, but the way it's been the bill was $80-90 for 5 or 6 months and then $300+ for 2 or 3 months in the summer. Fortunately we're on gas for heating and hot water, but that's been slowly going up too....

Yes I believe my bill is going to go up--- thank god for overclockers.com and our loyal seti members... My 4 rigs do add a bit more to my bill---- I just am happy that I'm NOT running 4 PIII 450's or something that SLOW and STILL paying the higher rates... I get soooo much more WU's per $1 of electric running AMD's at 2100-2300 vs. what I used to get a few years back...

Mictlan said:
You can alway try to get a new fuel cell or microturbine and use gas to provide for your own electricity ;)

or, just run most of your machines at the office and have them pay for it. :)

hmm well the 6 acres i just purchesed are in a high natral gas area and i own the mineral rights. anyideas or contacts i could use to explore this avenue? some of the wells around here are as shallow as 450 feet!

I think i could affored the 10 k for a natral gas generator.

I had to cut back on the folding here myself. I had 4-5 800+ mhz machines running and it added about $40 to my power bill. Our electricity rates have gone up about 30-40% in the last two years here where I live and I just cannot afford the extra $$$ at this time. In the winter time it isnt so bad cause it keeps the electric heat from coming on here in the 14X20 cabin that I have all of these comps networked in, but now that its summer it just doesnt benefit me enough to justify the extra dough.

ss69nova said:
hmm well the 6 acres i just purchesed are in a high natral gas area and i own the mineral rights. anyideas or contacts i could use to explore this avenue? some of the wells around here are as shallow as 450 feet!

I think i could affored the 10 k for a natral gas generator.

Better get a fuel cell generator......might be a boetter purchase in the long road than a regular natural gas generator ;)

My parents electric bill is usually around $150, thats with 4 rigs running 24/7 (seti and webservers) since they make my room so hot in the summer I added an A/C system to my room just to keep it cool, (less than 60 degrees:p ) I'll be adding another 2 systems within the next month or so as well.......its nice in the winter tho! Hardly have to turn on the heat in this room at all.

Oklahoma summers.... 250 bucks a month easy!!! The rest of the year 125 a month or so. Thats with 8 fish tanks running, 4 puters, and all the other stuff a us citzen in good standing with the power should have....

psy

Back