• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noob_123

Planning on buying a case... does an aluminum case have that big a cooling advantage over a steel case?

No it's not "that big". I've felt some heat transfer going on with the 3.5" drive rack, where my dual disks were for a while, and also some at the back of the mainboard tray. How much and how effective it was I can't say.

Aluminum does transfer heat better and is lighter. It's not going to make or break for a cooling solution by any means, but for some anything helps. Really comes down to your want/needs....

I have had steel and aluminum. I bought one a few months ago. Before I bought one, I was pretty much against them, but since I have boughten one, I am never going back to steel. The looks alone sell me on them. :)

Aluminum will dissipate heat far better, but if you dont have nice airflow it really wont matter. You also need to be carefull that you get a sturdy aluminum case over a flimsy one. Flimsy cases are easily bent and tend to rattle and vibrate more..

Back