• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Newbie's Guide to Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, I will look into adding that stuff. Let me know when you get the ducting mod guide up, and I may throw it in there.

Bump..Any more ideas thtat will be beneficial to the n00b's? I feel the guide is still incomplete, but I can't puyt my finger on what is missing.

50C - 55C. This could be very detrimental to the CPU if you let it go higher than 55C!

I wouldn't agree that 55°C is detrimental to to life of the CPU, but it would certainly defeat the purpose of a burn-in. A proper burn-in should have temps of below 40°C for certain, and a core voltage of over 1.95v. It may have worked for you, but 1.9 is generally not taxing enough.

usually .35 vcore over stock could shorten the life of the cpu but not always
No one can accertain this for sure, as no one has actually encounted any processor issues due to running high voltages. Overclocking is taking a risk period, but I don't think that .35v over stock would hurt enough to kill your processor before you'd want to trash it anyways.

I really hope this get stickied. If it doesn't I'll have to keep bumping it periodically. ;)

Gautam said:

I wouldn't agree that 55°C is detrimental to to life of the CPU, but it would certainly defeat the purpose of a burn-in. A proper burn-in should have temps of below 40°C for certain, and a core voltage of over 1.95v. It may have worked for you, but 1.9 is generally not taxing enough

I probably should have clarified that I was using a DLT3C whose stock voltage is 1.5v. It is most assuredly taxing enough to raise the vcore .4v to do a burn-in, butr I will clarify that in the original guide. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. ;)

Max Vcore for Tbred B and Barton

According to the AMD datasheet for model 8 and 10:

Data sheet for Model 10 (Barton)

Data sheet for Model 8 (Tbred)

In Chapter 8,

Quoted:
"The AMD Athlon XP processor model 8 should not be subjected to conditions exceeding the absolute ratings, as such conditions can adversely affect long-term reliability or result in functional damage."

The absolute rating for Vcore = Vcc_core_dc_max + 0.5 V

Vcc_core_dc_max = Vcc_core_nominal + 0.05 V
Vcc_core_ac_max = Vcc_core_nominal + 0.15 V

Vcc_core_nominal = 1.50 V for DLT3C
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.60 V for DUT3C
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.65 V for DKT3C

E.g.
for DLT3C
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.5 + 0.05 = 1.55 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.55 + 0.5 = 2.05 V

for DUT3C
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.6 + 0.05 = 1.65 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.65 + 0.5 = 2.15 V

for DKT3C
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.65 + 0.05 = 1.70 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.70 + 0.5 = 2.20 V

The numbers are the same for model 10 (Barton).
So for Barton,
Vcc_core_nominal = 1.65 V
Vcc_core_dc_max = 1.65 + 0.05 = 1.70 V
The absolute rating for Vcore = 1.70 + 0.5 = 2.20 V

The above is based on my interpretation. Pls read the datasheet, and make your judgement.

Last edited:
How much voltage can be applied to a CPU

There are two components of power going into a CPU at a given Vcore:

1. The "good" CV^2f active power which powers the CPU to run at frequency f.
2. The "wasted" V^2/R static power which biases the CPU as leakage current, but also heats up the chip.

Putting in higher Vcore would generally let you clock faster (CVcore^2f). But unfortunately, it also heats up the chip (Vcore^2/R).

So on air, at lower temperature 10-20-30 C, the CPU can be clocked faster and faster at a rate about 130-140 MHz/100mV (for Tbred B, Barton). So far so good. But at the same time, the chip will begin to heat up due to Vcore increases (the V^2/R compoent). As a result of heat, the electrons move slower inside the chip and the CPU begin to run slower, the above rate delf/delVcore begins to drop to 120 then 110 then 100 MHz/100 mV when die temperature reaches beyond 30 C, 40 C, 50 C, ... correspondingly for Vcore above 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 V, ... The heat increases at a rate faster than the Vcore increase to slow down the chip.

This is what we call the diminishing return on CPU frequency. And eventually, around 1.95 - 2 V for Tbred B, 1700+ DLT3C, it will come to "stop" (due to heat, high current and system instability) even when more Vcore is put in, since the heat slows the chip down. There is no more reason to increase Vcore anymore (even you don't kill the chip). For higher Vcore rated ones such as 2100+, Barton 2500+, that Vcore wall is around 2.05 - 2.2 V on air.

The above numbers are mainly for illustration, and they are roughly correct. But don't quote and use them for exact calculation.

If you use thermoelectric, phase change, .... exterme cooling, due to the lower die temperature, as mentioned above, the chips can run much faster and reach much higher frequency (e.g. 3+ GHz) at the same Vcore (compared to air/water) before the die reaching the higher temperature as cooled by air. E.g. at 1.95-2V 1700+ will run at 2.5-2.6 GHz on air at 50 C, but it will run at 3 - 3.2 GHz at -10 C.

It does not mean you can put much higher Vcore onto the chips at lower die temperature. They will maxout on Vcore due to transistor leakage, gate breakdown. They run faster due to lower die temperature, not higher Vcore.

Last edited:
True, it seems to have worked for you. The DLT3C's are just plain processors that break all the rules. But you should probably also add a disclaimer. I've seen a couple have negative results whilst using burn-ins with DLT3Cs.

I added something about the fact that I used a 1.9v vcore (which is like a 75% voltage increase).

As a relative n00b myself I found parts of your guide pretty informative (thanks!). I think some more 'dumbed-down' info on RAM frequencies and basic 'bang/complexity' (sorta like bang/buck ;)) case modding might be useful.

A new member brought it to my attention that I had not added where to change the settings I refer to, or give any explanation of software for overclocking. So I went ahead a fixed it. Let me know if there are any errors...or if you have any ideas for me to add. I am always looking to update this thing.

Back