• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt Modding Memory on 9k5/9k7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

<Grisu4>

Hi,

Did the voltmod for the gpu as written here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon9700pro-overclocking.html

on my 9500 np 128MB @8pipes with a 2k87ohm resistor.

Now I can run @400/325 without problems but with a lot of heat on the backside (still aircooling with crystal orb, no mem coolers).

It's 3.3 hynix memory.

It's very complicate do unmount that alu plate on the backside to get to that mem-chip explained on the same site.

But there's another mod also explained on xbitlabs, but I don't exactly understand what it does.

I want to get the memory @350, so what to do? Will I have to unmount that plate or will that other mod suffice?

Thanks for advice ....

Yes, I will change to a water block soon ;)

Just set gpu @411 - no probs anyway ..... but mem still @324 :(

Thanks for the link.

Ya, it depends on the revision of your pcb... there is 3 memory vmods though.. make sure you read that whole link he gave you as he changes what he suggests in the first part without updating it. If i give my Vmem any less resistance than 22k i will get all kinds of tearing and crap without the vddq mod.

Did the Vmem Mod with 20k, 10k and finally 2k87 Ohms. Seems as my 3.6 Hynix can't get over 330 without any artifacts. When running GPU @stock or max 300 MHz I can rise mem to 340 without artifacts, but 350/340 gives me artifacts. When rising GPU I have to lower mem .....

Seems as Vddq or Vref (what is this exactly for?) could help, eh?

Would you stay with the 2k87 for the mem or just remove it? Gave me about 5-8 MHz more.

I'd say 2870 Ohms on the ram is risky.
With removing it.. you mean going straight to ground?
That will definately damage the ram.

No, just remove the Vmem mod.

So doing the Vref mod could give me more mem clock, or not? So I could solder the 10k or 20k instead the 2k87 and do the Vref mod.

Could anybody explain uninstalling that alu plate? Is it worth doing the Vddq Mod under my conditions or do you think the mem has just reached it's peak?

Even with the 2k87 I can't run 400/330 without artifacts, so just stay witout the Vmem Mod and run 400/320 or do the Vref Mod and hope 400/350?

What do you say?

Hmm i have a 22k ohm on my Vmem and it gives me 3.06v... if i even try 20k i get tearing and crap... it seems like 2.7k would give you way too much voltage. What revision pcb do you have? I havent done Vref or Vddq yet.. i don't have the right v-r for Vref and you can easily fry your card by giving too much there. I may try the Vddq tonight but i have heard to many horror stories of ripping an ic off while taking off the plate. If your having tearing and crap then one or both of the other mods might help you.. you better check your Vmem voltage though.

Don't know how much voltage 2k87 on the mem gives, but it runs - slightly better that with 10k. Less additional heat as ar as I can feel it.
I will remove that resistor, maybe I will change it to a 10k.

Yes, it's not pretty easy to remove that plate as much as I read about it. So if you succeed please let me know how you managed it, ok?

I'm looking for a waterblock to get my temps down. Maybe the memory will run a little higher then.

I would check it with a multimeter.. even if it's fine now it could die from it after time. I think i may try to do the vddq and vref tonight... i'll see if i can get that plate off.

Ok, ive been up all night screwing around.. I did the vddq and vref to add to my vdd and vgpu.... I tried about every combo of mods and voltages and neither vddq or vref would give me any better memory overclocks.. together or alone. I just ended up taking them both off.. i did vddq with a 10k ohm pot and just used about 20 different combos of fixed resistors on vref. The epoxy on my plate was already broken so all i had to do was take a pin out and solder the wires on the ic.
Oh well, i guess this 9700p has just hit it's limits, till i get watercooling on it at least.

So what is your mem rated for? ns?

Mine ist hynix 3.6ns and with only the 2k87 using for the GPU mod I reaches stable 324 with gpu 400+.

Which resistor di you use for your vgpu mod? I did it as they wrote @xbitlabs with the 2k87. I think I will stay with it and run @400 when my waterblock arrives, wouldn't you?

I have Samsung 2.8ns ram.
Well i think it's different for different pcb revisions you still havent said yours, i have a rev 3.0.
I use 22k on my vdd and it puts me at 3.06.. any higher and get tearing and crap.. even with vddq or vref modded. I have a 10k v-r on the vgpu.. i think it's usssually around 2.7k.. When i benched i probalt had it at like 2.2k, that's unsafe though.

well, it's the "old" pcb. The number says "30" so I guess it's rev 3.0.

I saw you did the vdd mod on the rda+. I did it too. What FSB do you rech with 1.85volts?

the new is 3.0.. you may be ok cause that Xbit article on the old pcb says 2.7k give you 3.2 vdd. I got my FSB upto 224 with memory sync. The memory is maxed but i think i tried 230 async and it was stable.

I reinstalled the two 10k to the mem chip and I think I'll stay with this. Maybe when the GPU is cooler the memory will get up a little.

I'm in trouble with my 8rda+ (enmic 8nax+). Did the Vdd mod, but I can't achieve FSB 210 stable with my Infineon PC2700 (2.9V). It runs perfect up to 205 @2-2-2-5 (2x512), but even with 2.5-4-4-8 I can't get it stable @210.

I'm going to get PC3700 Twinmos, which should do at least 220 @2-2-3-6. Also thought about p4p800 and p4 2.4c @FSB275 where I could use this mem too.

<Grisu4> said:
I reinstalled the two 10k to the mem chip and I think I'll stay with this. Maybe when the GPU is cooler the memory will get up a little.

I'm in trouble with my 8rda+ (enmic 8nax+). Did the Vdd mod, but I can't achieve FSB 210 stable with my Infineon PC2700 (2.9V). It runs perfect up to 205 @2-2-2-5 (2x512), but even with 2.5-4-4-8 I can't get it stable @210.

I'm going to get PC3700 Twinmos, which should do at least 220 @2-2-3-6. Also thought about p4p800 and p4 2.4c @FSB275 where I could use this mem too.

Check out this dual channel mem review: Crucial actually won.

Yes, I already read it before, but crucial doesn't like low timings.

Back