• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an LCD for college which is best???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
link doesn't work. you can get a good 17 in lcd that's under $400, namely the benq. not too sure of the model number, but that's the manufacturer. i suggest lcd simply b/c those desks you get in your dorms are not that big, and you save a lot of room with a lcd. not to mention you won't break your back carrying an lcd up 3 flights of stairs. check the sticky on lcd experiences or the lcd gamers thread to find out more on lcd's

i wrote a writeup awhile back explaining what all the terms mean and what to look for.

basically you want some with brightness over 250 and contrast as high as possible, usually around 400:1 or 500:1. if you're gaming or watching movies you'll want something with a low low low response time. an average response time for a 17" LCD will be 30-40ms. BenQ LCD's boast response times below 20ms. and even their larger 18-20" screens are below 30ms. if you want something good with gaming and multimedia get a 17" benq. can be had for $380-430.

refresh rates aren't important with LCD's because they don't constantly refresh. if a pixel doesn't change color it doesn't get redrawn. for this reason lesser quality LCD's will have trouble with clear crisp text. this is where contrast ratio comes into play.

I think i fixed the link. If not i narrowed my choices down to NEC either the:
-NEC/MITSUBISH 17" LCD MONITOR ASLCD7V
-NEC MultiSync LCD1760V-BK 17" LCD
OR
-NEC/Mitsubishi 17" LCD Model 1760NX
Im leaning towards the last one because it has DVI
on newegg it says the first one is 16ms response and the other two are 25ms response

well is that a good lcd or what??? what are your thought. I started a new thread on that one so you dont have to reply if you already did to that other thread

as far as image quality goes yeah that's a good panel. they don't post their response time though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...factory=1591&description=&srchFor= ASLCD7V-bk

that one would be better. it has all the same numbers except it says it has a 16ms response time. if the response time isn't posted from a company that has response times on another panel chances are that iit's not as good a screen. plus the one i linked you to is cheaper.

Back