• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you ever just sit back and grin..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayneDolesman

I know a lot of us here read other forums, sites, etc.. I'm talking non-OC sites.. "normal" sites. A lot of people like to talk about their new systems, especially the people who spend $2000+ on overpriced Alienware PC's and what-not. Or people that start a good old "Post your hardware config" threads (which happens a lot on gaming boards). While you sit back with your P4 OC'd to 3.4, 3.7 or even higher.. they may have a 9800 Pro, but so do you and yours is overclocked to hell and back, pumping out 25%+ more frames than a normal 9800p does..

Do you just sit back and grin, or do you get into it and flex your muscles with the rest of em? :)

The way I look at it, if they don't know/understand what you are saying about o/cing, then it isn't worth the time.. It's like explaining cars to some one who hasn't a clue how to start it..

I'm still not overclocked yet.... But I at least understand the concept behind it. I sit back and smile..

I don't really care about impressing non-computer savvy people over the internet. Now I do sit back and smile at my friends, who try in vain to beat my PC.

Unless you use radical cooling with a fantastic visual appearance it's just another person doing what's been done for the last 5 years.

Bleh

Not exactly the same. Overclockers have had to become creative. Back in the day, mess with the jumpers, maybe a volt mod.. Now, you need to flash the bios, jump through hoops to bridge L1-Lxxxx bridges, blow bridge traces, use small wires, kill a chicken, over volt, solder resistors, preform anti-static dance..... not to mention how far cooling for these things have come..

Next in order to O/C, we'll need to create false clock signals, digital filters, some more chicken deaths, perhaps even reprogram the CPU works.......who knows what.

The idea is the same, but the methods change..

palee72 said:
Not exactly the same. Overclockers have had to become creative. Back in the day, mess with the jumpers, maybe a volt mod.. Now, you need to flash the bios, jump through hoops to bridge L1-Lxxxx bridges, blow bridge traces, use small wires, kill a chicken, over volt, solder resistors, preform anti-static dance..... not to mention how far cooling for these things have come..

Next in order to O/C, we'll need to create false clock signals, digital filters, some more chicken deaths, perhaps even reprogram the CPU works.......who knows what.

The idea is the same, but the methods change..

on Occasion we sacrifice virgins to make our willys go past 3GHZ

I always get a laugh when one of me relaives buys a pc from bestbuy and trys to say the he got the best hardware or a great deal. Then I tell him that the last system I built for my brother cost half as much and runs twice as fast. Then I tell them that they paid the dig bucks so they can deal with the manufacturer about techsupport and leave me along. I hate it when a technoweenie starts messing with things in the bios or registry and fubars something. If you don't know what it does either leave it alone or research it. Don't jsut change it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups.
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ravsitar said:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups.
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

LOL

Yea one of my friends just build a pc last christmas, was rubbing everything in my face, and did no research, (he got rdram), now guess whose rubbing in whose face. yea but to the origional thread, id only spend my time explaining to friends.

Back