• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HS trouble!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
i'm doing some updates on my computer and took out everything including my video card ati(9700 pro) i want to put a different cooler on it, on the back side of the card i pushed those two pins in but the heatsink doesn't want to come off it's like glued to it or something please help how i take the heatsink off the card?????

get your anti static bag...put the VC in it...seal the opening of the bag...put the bag in the freezer for 20 minutes to an hour...it should pop right off with a good twist..but if you feel like you have to strong arm it...stick it back in the freezer for a little bit longer until it does just pop off...

make sure the bag has no extra holes and seal the top so no water or anything ca get into the bag...just in case...

are you series?

this is the only way??

and when i try to pop it off wouldn't i demage the gpu??

thanks

No I am serious...its called the freezer trick...and that is why i stated not to strong arm it off...if you can just twist it off it will not hurt the GPU...but if you try to strong arm it off...odds are you will ripe the GPU out or seriously damage it...and what you are doing is freezing the epoxy they used...making it brittle enough to make it crack when you twist it off...

And I don't joke when it comes to something that could potentially damage someone's hardware...unless I state I am ;)

And yes I have done this same trick a few times...even did it on a few MB's to get the NB HS's off...

so it will be some resistance and i should use a twistingmethode orpull it off??

thanks for your help

glock 19 ok it came off thanks a lot for your help now should i put artic silver or just the coumpound that came with the vid card cooler?

it looks like it needs a lot of it on it!

ok 1 more question and than i won't bother you again after i poped it off there is a yellow coumpound on it it is pretty hard i guess it is a epoxy of some kind iam trying to use isopropyl rubbing alcohol but it does not come off with that what can i use to take that off???

try fingernail polish remover first...you might have to take a small hobbie knife (putty knife) to carefully remove the epoxy...take your time and do not press down (keep the blade as flat as possible without scrapping or scratching the surface it is on)...then finish taking the small protions that is left off with the fingernail polish remover...

NP...just take your time and becareful...if you do those 2 things...everything should come out the way you want it...if you need anymore help...hit me up on AIM later today...

YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE ASIII on your card unless you have the newer revised shim!! Check you clearances, if your shim is higher than your core, then AS will eventually pull away and you'll overheat. If the shim is higher than your core, you need to either make a spacer shim, or use Shin Etsu.

i shudve read this thread first..lol... I took off the HSF off my R9KPro and immediately after seeing all that crap, i lapped the GPU (took about 2 hours!!!)

Back