• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you know when your OC'ed RAM needs more juice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

How do you know when your OC'ed RAM needs more juice? Are there any signs that indicate that your ram needs more voltage when running at a high frequency?

Your computer crashes.

Also, you can check it with memtest86. Errors = memory problem.
That doesn't mean more juice will necessarily fix it, though.

What voltage are you running it at now?

Right now its at default voltage (2.5V ?). My 2.66B doesn't like running over 149MHz FSB. I've always wondered if it was the 1x512 XMS3500 that wasn't getting enough juice. I've tested it in memtest at 153FSB and it ran without error. But maybe running in windows is a different story?

I just replaced the single 512 of XMS3500 with 2x256 of XMS3700.

Right now the voltage is at default, timings are set at SPD (3,4,4,8). Memory is running at 183MHz(333 ratio). my fsb is set at 149MHz. Im going to run prime to see if its stable. It was with my old board.

No, that memory is getting plenty of juice. Your processor probably maxes out at 3.0ghz. You could up your memory ratio, or you could buy another processor. (2.4C or 2.6C) then sell the old one on ebay, and be out maybe $30, or maybe make a profit!

Back