• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ist it a psu or mboard prolem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AskeraMota

Registered
ok so basically i was fiddling around with my pc and connected sumthing to the 5v line that is connected to both the hard drive, floppy, and goes straight to the power supply...then suddenly pop, and the lead was warm..but now the computer doesnt even post..altho the fans turn on, and it seems to turn on...ive tried resetting the bios, but still nothing. im gunna chek on my multimeter in a few, but i want some input on what you all think : )
i hope its not my mboard, but i think it is : /
later
Charlie

It sounds like maybe you shorted +12V to +5V.

It's quite likely the PSU is blown. If you want to keep your friends, don't put that PSU in a friend's machine. There's a chance it could blow up a motherboard. It would make more sense to borrow a friend's PSU and see if your motherboard will still run with it.

It's quite possible that both the mobo and PSU are damaged.

Good luck.

It's possible that only the 5V rail of the PSU is damaged, and the 12V powering the fans works.

There's a decent chance that only the motherboard is damaged though.

I doubt it's his PSU as most PSU's have some sort of short circuit protection....which doesn't mean that you can't kill your MOBO and/or other parts.

I have a P2B-F that does the same thing, fans turn on but no beeps or anything, also all parts I tried on that MOBO still work fine.

Maybe you should get a "PC test card", right now they're sold on Dutch, Italian and Australian (German Ebay too I guess) Ebay for €25-33 (Incl. S&H) or $48 AUS.

Link (Sold by curatio on Dutch Ebay).

The cards run 60-90 tests and give you an error code, that way you can tell what's wrong.

Good luck.

I'd say it was ur mobo, I had that problem before. I either statically shocked my mobo or got thermal compound somewhere and when I turned it on only the fans came on, but nothing POSTs. I had to get a new motherboard, so good luck to you!

so..i bought a new power supply, plug it into my board, and it starts for count it, 1 second, and then thats it, back to the off position, but if i put my old ps in there, it starts up the board and the fans atleast run!!!!! it makes no sense...my old ps has a blown rail tho too, which makes even less sense as to why it would work on my board....so i think tis time for a new board, hopefully nothing else got fried in this little mishap...i know my hard drive works, and thats all that trully counts.
thanks for the help
Charlie

But the PSU protection doesn't kick in until anywhere from 15-50 amps, or more than enough to fry something on the mobo. That's probably why many mobos have their own separate fuses or resettable protectors.

Back