• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Size Heatsink For 8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheesy Peas

What kinda size heatsink could i fit on my 8500 for extra cooling. Ive got an ali heatsink here thats about 80x60 mm.

whats the biggest you guys have got on yours?

thanx

I would epoxy on a copper 1u heatsink, no weight problems and great cooling. Although you might want to do a good lapping job on both the gpu and heatsink before bonding them together.

ok thanx, ive got one about the same size as that maxi, but its got big thick fins on it, the other one is kinda like a stock amd one.

ive got one that has a base of bout 50x50mm so im gonna use that, and the other one is pretty bang on size for making 8 ram sinks out of.

thanx

Do you think I could use an old socket 7 heatsink? Its one of the stock ones I think. the only thing that puts me off is that I cant see how you would fit a fan to it, its just a bunch of fins on a flat base. If anyone knows about these things i would appreciate the ideas. Cheers. Oh yeah this is what they look like Heatsink

Hey Cheesy Peas, did you do it? I'd be really interested to hear how it all turned out (since i'm about to do the same). Please let me know or post your results here. Thanks

Oh, and maybe some pictures or something, i'm kinda instructionally challenged. Well, scared to do it wrong anyway.

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy said:
Hey Cheesy Peas, did you do it? I'd be really interested to hear how it all turned out (since i'm about to do the same). Please let me know or post your results here. Thanks

Oh, and maybe some pictures or something, i'm kinda instructionally challenged. Well, scared to do it wrong anyway.

Havnt done it yet, im still debating wether or not AS3 and a dab of superglue in the corner is ok, like wether or not the super glue will hold.
Anyone want to encourage me with the superglue thing?
Is it best to mix the two together or just put dabs in the corners?

I know the core itself has a round metal cap and has plastic round the edge so i thought i could cover the copper with AS3, and then apply the superglue around the edges.
What you thihnk?

Cheers

You shouldn't be cheap if you care about your card. Get some AA adhesive. Don't bother lapping if you are going to use superglue, the way it dries will leave a substantial gap between the surfaces anyway.

Back