• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suddenly I have artifacts at stock speeds...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sterculus

All of a sudden I just started getting artifacts in some games, even though I'm running my card at stock...the system is oced but that shouldn't affect the video card. Anyways, I'm getting squares all over the screen in enter the matrix, vice city, and 3dmark. I haven't found anything else that has artifacts. Also, the artifacts don't show up when I'm playing video, even the in-game video in enter the matrix.
Any ideas?

First, what card do you have?

Specifically, in my case, I had a Sapphire 9700Pro that started locking up/freezing/generating artifacts when playing 3d games, and it was a result of the fan on my card going kaput! My GPU was overheating and therefore, not performing right. Whenver, I tried to run benches, it wouild just freeze.

What you are explaining sounds like that, but I am not ruling out other possible causes. The fact that you are oc'ing your system may have some minor impact on your card, but I would venture to say it is either heat related or ram related (bad memory). The fan on my card went after a few months.

Uninstall drivers, control panel and any other programs related to your video card. Any overclocking application should be removed as well. Make sure all files are completely gone. Check where u installed the applications for any folders that still remain. Once complete reinstall everything again. Tell me if anything changes.
:)

Sterculus said:

right from my sig :p
I don't think it's a heat problem, cause I have really good cooling...

You have really good cooling but you have really contact with your really good cooling? What did you use to mount it?
Rob

Back