• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to regulate bandwidth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

I have Comcast cable and a home network and it's all nice and dandy, except when the two download wh*re brothers decide to turn on Kazaa and let it run 24/7 and it slows down web page loading to 56k speed. I've already been yelled at for unplugging their connection. Is there any way at all to regulate the bandwidth that each computer on the network can use? I have a SMC Barricuda Router/Switch, and I haven't crossed anything yet that would be able to provide such a function, but I figured I check in here before giving up totally.

i dont know how to regulat it by a router, not sure if you can

but if you have access to their computers im almost 100% sure theres software that can be found

now where i dont know

sorry i cant be much more of a help

There is nothing that you can do with that SMC Barricade to limit bandwidth in any way shape or form. It's not the SMC that is holding you up, 99% of the SOHO routers out there aren't capable of this.

You are going to need a high end, high priced router to accomplish this. (easy rule = if it doesn't say Cisco, you aren't altering bandwidth.

Now, there is a couple of things called MTU and RWIN that you can adjust on the local machine that will cripple bandwidth...

go to www.dslreports.com and download Dr.tcp on their machine then run it then like kingslayer says make the rwin(recieve window) a small number i think the default for win 98 is 32000 not sure about xp but it will be larger then 98 then change the mtu(maximum transmission unit) might not be able to do this if using xp but again a smaller number will affect bandwidth dsl reports will explain all in detail.

An easy solution would be to limit the upload and download usage of kazaa on their computers, they shouldnt be sharing stuff any way. There is an option in the program to alter bandwith usage, and to not permit uploads.

Don't adjust that setting too much, though - since it will be blatant if all the downloads top out at 20kbps :)

Just reduce the upload settings.

Failing that, reason with them :D

Ok I had thought about changing the MTU because I remembered about that from my CCNA days, but wasn't sure if it would accomplish what I wanted. I'll try that Dr TCP that you've reccommended and see how that works out. Sometimes I wish I was a real hardcore hardware hacker...maybe I would flash custom firmware that would limit bandwidth.

just do what i do when my brother/wife decide to leave kazaa on and they're not around... I go ahead and block their mac addresses from accessing the internet on my lil' linksys wireless router... and if they happen to come home and ask why they can't get on the internet... i just tell 'em I'll take a "look" at the problem... I always blame the problem on our "flaky" DSL connection (even though it's been pretty much rock solid for the 4 years we've had it... hehehe, i love bein the only admin in the house...)

Back