• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partial shutdown...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norrko

OK... Now that the last Gauntlet is over I helped my friend to shut down almost all clients. It were way to much work to do with all the clients. The other reason is that some of the clients were altered by students so that the credit for the WU's get into their pockets... Darn students... It's not the first time they find a workaround with things... (I've lots of stories what they've done)
Whatever.. There is still some of them running and there may be some big dumps in the future... But they may occur on a more irregular basis..

/Norrko

I remember those high school days. I always got bored in my word processing class, so one day I thought it would be fun to hack into the Library databases (the only computers in the school worth a damn mind you). I brought the Library to its knees and had personal use of the system for about a week. That's when I was young and stupid. Now I work to prevent such occurrences.

Great work while it lasted. I'm sure you have set the all time Overclockers.Com Seti Team weekly crunching record. That ought to last forever.

In addition to some great numbers your are showing what just one orginization on the planet can do even under imperfect conditions.

First class!!

Harvey

Last edited:
Thanks hallen...

And for you Landshark, I've got one story (among many others)...

As the students use the printers to print out the most crap that they could find on the internet, even whole books, the costs for the maintenance were horrible so the university decided to install a print-out counter. The students had 500 A4 pages for free. After a while, my friend discovered that he had to fill the printers more often but there were no print-outs registered in the database. Then he found out that if a student put a very large picture in the end of the document that he printed out and canceled the print-out when it began to process the picture, there where no print-out registered in the database. He now changed the policy so that the counter registered every print-out BEFORE the printer began to do the work... Now some smart student discovered that if he mounted the local printer directly to the computer that he was using it never disappeared any copies of is print-out account... It took my friend a whole weekend to rebuild the network so that all printers is no longer visible for the students.... They now have to connect to the printer counter and thereafter choose the printer that is in their specific classroom... My friend and I talk alot about that if you want to test your network and equipment, let the students handle the testing... They find every, and I mean every, weakness in a system...

Conclusion! Students are perfect Beta-testers...

But they also sometimes gives me and my friend a good laugh...
They are incredible!

/Norrko

LOL.......yeah, those young lion are much better serve as a tester than we old folks.....:p

and you reminded me my old day in college and how to have "fun" in all the computer labs.....:D :p

hallen said:
Great work while it lasted. I'm sure you have set the all time Overclockers.Com Seti Team weekly crunching record. That ought to last forever.

In addition to some great numbers your are showing what just one orginization on the planet can do even under imperfect conditions.

First class!!

Harvey

Harvey you should know better. Never say never... I remember when I thought The Horsemen could never be beatin....and look what happened. About three other members took it up a notch.

Sir-Epix said:

Harvey you should know better. Never say never... I remember when I thought The Horsemen could never be beatin....and look what happened. About three other members took it up a notch.

I remember that. You guys would have been up there with the Two Norsemen if your administrator were as savvy as Norrko's.

Computing is an adventure and you never get the maximum playing it safe like your guy (gal?). But it sure was fun when you unloaded in your midnight dumps.:)

Harvey

Back