• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 3.5? what drivers for new 9700pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlush

hey

I've heard so much about the new catalyst drivers, and I'm getting my new 9700pro tomorrow. I'll be doing ltos of benchmarks and overclocking my system a bit, so what drivers do you recommend? I've heard that the newest ones arent that great, or theyr educe the scres in certain programs.

So what drivers do you recommend for me?

Please let me know.

And oif they're older than 3.5, can you send me a link!

Thanks

Starting with a new card, it is best to install the most current drivers (3.5) so that you will be able to run without updating too soon. ATI has been doing a good job of fixing problems with games with each driver update, so the 3.5 will give your system the most compatability. Also, the 3.5 drivers remove some benchmark optimizations that were in an earlier version.

What do you mean by removed benchmark optimizations? WIll this result in me losing 3dmark scores as well as other benchmarks?

Also, what do I have to do to get my dual monitor up and running because I have nvidia right now but I can't use nView with ATI. SO I've heard of HydraVision....can someone here tell me about it?

ATI and nVidia were both caught adding code in their drivers that made the cards use lower quality on certain benchmarks in order to get better scores. Both companies have removed these unethical bits of code.

As an example with my 9700 Pro in 3dMark03

Cat. 3.0 drivers ==> 4462

Cat. 3.4 drivers ==> 4761 <<Optimized by ATI>>

Cat. 3.5 drivers ==> 4698 <<Optimizations removed>>

I have not used the multi monitor setup, but the interface looks like it will be simple. You should uninstall all nVidia drivers and software before removing your card.

yeah
k then ill use the cata 3.5's.

Yeah Im re installing windows anyway because im getting a new mobo and ram too.

thanks for your help

Hey do you need to get rid of the old 3.4 drivers if your going to install the 3.5's? I was using Nvidia for a long time and recently purchased a 9700np so idk how their drivers are.

Graphic67 said:
ATI and nVidia were both caught adding code in their drivers that made the cards use lower quality on certain benchmarks in order to get better scores. Both companies have removed these unethical bits of code.

nVidia was caught doing that. All ATi was caught doing was rearranging the order in which the code went through the processor, making it more effective for their cards, but in the end not effecting image quality at all

Anyways, im running the Cat 3.5's and i have yet to have any problem from them yet.

man_utd said:
Considering it was never called cheating by Peoplesoft, I think that is enough.

Peoplesoft??? I thought they were too busy sueing and being sued by Oracle to comment on video drivers....

How about FUTUREMARK.

Did anyone find any improvements in performance? I'm not gonna bother with uninstalling the 3.4's and then installing the 3.5's if all they did was fix the code for the 3dmark benchmarks. If they added something new, that would be nice to know.

Going from 3.4 to 3.5 probably is not going to do much unless you play one of the games for which a fix was applied. Otherwise, just keep using 3.4 until you have problems with titles. Even ATI suggests you avoid updating drivers unless you are having problems.

I went to Lanwar 19 (Million Man Lan) In lousville Kentucky this past weekend and ATI held a seminar where they gave out CD's of what they called, "Million Man Lan revisions of the Catalyst 3.5 Drivers". I'm running them on my machine and I"m quite happy. Also ATI announced that they will start releasing catalyst updates on a steady basis of every 2 weeks or once a month. That will be soo nice!

new omegas are out too. i would think those are an improvement on the older omegas since he fixed the radclocker so it boots at the overclocked frequencies.

I downloaded the Omega Drivers today and I was not at all impressed. My frame rates and 3dmark 2003 scores dropped. My UT2K3 Frames dropped by 10-15 Frames and I had a bit of artifacting for some reason. I went back to my Regular Cataylst 3.5 drivers and got my 10-15 frames back. usually the omega's are nice but I'd have to beg to differ.

Hey Zash:

Do you have a way where you can zip those files and maybe find hosting. If you can't find hosting, you could just PM someone on here that will host for you. I would be nice to try those cats out and I'm sure people would appreciate it. Thanks.

Back