• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying AS3 to my 9700p GPU......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlush

Hey

Just getting my 9700pro. I wanna add some AS3 to the gpu, then replace the HSF. SO, I've got some q-tips and some isopropyl alcohol ready......
When it comes tomorrow.. what do I need to do?

Just curious, I've never done it before.. is it just the fan clipped onto the card? I unclip, clean the old paste off, apply new paste, and voila?

Please give me as much detail as possible, and maybe some of you geniuses out there have found a video on it.

ANYTHING would help,

thanks!

Be extra careful when removing the shim, I turned my 9700 into an expensive POS. When I got my knife up underneath the shim, it went flying and the knife kept on slicing. The knife took two block resistors and a small chunk off the corner of the GPU on it's way. The card worked for a few weeks until Sunday, when I was playing CNC: Generals and the video froze. I could still move the units and hear them moving, but the video was stuck on one frame. The darn thing would even freeze while using IE...

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than me...

:mad: uhoh hehehe

well ill go slow, and hopefully it'll all be ok.

I plan on :

removing the clips, and taking off the HSF
Removing the tape/pad using creditcard/isopropyl alcohol
Cleaning the hsf using isopropyl
Removing the shim using en exacto knife CAREFULLY
applying AS3 to the chip and reinstall the hsf

THEN OVERCLOCKING LIKE A MUTHAFUGGA

if that sounds wrong, please correct me!

Ummm well for the shim I would not use that knife, I used a small flathead screwdriver. Mine had a little knotch on one of the inside corners that I could insert it and pop it off.

Use acetone to clean the left over thermal pad on the GPU, alcohol won't take the stuff off.

Also- like in the article, lapping the heatsink wouldn't hurt- just do it enough to get the black stuff off- I know my heatsink actually had deep impressions on it- took a while to flatten it out but I got it done eventually.

Before you remove the shim do this.... Put a very thin layer of AS3 on the core like you should on an XP cpu... Then put a pefectly flat lapped heatsink on there and see if it makes full contact with the core... The core may even be higher than the shim or perfectly level. Also if you are using stock HSF and just putting AS3 on then alot of them are recessed to make full contact even if the shim is higher.

Back