• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy

Problem OC'ing Radeon 8500

Ok, I give up. I need help. I'm trying to OC my Radeon 8500 OEM and i'm having no luck. I've downloaded the latest driver, my bios is the 1009 version, I have directX 9.0a, and I'm trying to use Rage3D Tweak. Everytime i adjust the clock settings and hit apply my screen gets completely streaked. Just solid colored lines from top to bottom of my screen and the computer's locked up. Help sure would be appreciated.

Signed
Desperately seeking overclockage.

If i'm the millionth newbie asking this same old question i really appologize. I did try searching first.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just taking an educated guess on this. Does the 8500 fully support directx 9? I can't think of any other issues that you would have, other thanyou not using the correct bios for your card.

I have DX9 and an overclocked R8500...

As for your problem, I don't know. You could try using another progam like Powerstrip and see if it works.

exactly how far are you trying to overclock the card? sounds like you are trying to jump the card too high... try o/cing it in tiny jumps like 2-5 mhz at a time... like i believe that stock it 275/275 try 280/280 then test its stability (3dmark 2001 is great for this) if it has no artifacts push it another 2-5 mhz as soon as you get artifacts drop it back 3mhz and thats your max without extra cooling and or a voltmod...

Re: Problem OC'ing Radeon 8500

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy said:
Ok, I give up. I need help. I'm trying to OC my Radeon 8500 OEM and i'm having no luck. I've downloaded the latest driver, my bios is the 1009 version, I have directX 9.0a, and I'm trying to use Rage3D Tweak. Everytime i adjust the clock settings and hit apply my screen gets completely streaked. Just solid colored lines from top to bottom of my screen and the computer's locked up. Help sure would be appreciated.

Signed
Desperately seeking overclockage.

If i'm the millionth newbie asking this same old question i really appologize. I did try searching first.

Is your card volt modded? If it is, You need to make sure that your resistors are: 2 10's and 2 2.7's, and the the core IC pins are grounded. Also, We had probs using the 3.2 cats, going to the 3.4's was a big change. Last be not least! If you have played with the card and it is dirty, Clean it totally with denatured alcohol by submerging it in a pan and then drying for a day. Then Blow it with air and reinstall...

We did this and brought ours back from the dead.

Happy Trails,

Tweaker and RadMan

Well, I did uninstall Rage3D Tweak and installed Powerstrip. That helped. I am now able to overclock, but it hardly seems worth the troubles. I've bumped it up to 275/275 just to try and get regular stock and it gets artifacts. :cry: All i wanted was to make this old thing like the non-OEM version. hehehe stinks

what are the stock speeds for your card (as you bought it not retail settings...) usually the core overclocks further than the memory... also overclock them seperately to find the max stable overclock of each then run them both at their max... that way having one too high wont cause artifacts when you havnt really found the max of the card

You could try flashing the BIOS. I heard many people who use to have artifacts with overclocked speeds have them clear up after a BIOS flash.

Thanks for the help on this one guys. I've got it working almost as good as a retail. 270/270. If i move either up i get artifacts. And Powerstrip was the right program to use. Hope this helps anyone else that's having this problem......

....Now what will happen if i volt mod it. Does anyone think i'll be able to push it farther. I'm just so darn close to breaking that 10k mark in 3dmark01SE. I'd love to break that barrier....

good gald you got it working... i wouldnt volt mod it if i were you... 8500's die rather quickly after a volt mod if you dont have REALLY good cooling... its just not worth it

ok...I have an 8500 built by ati card o/c'ed to 290/301 on stock cooling. I also have DX9.0a, and have no issues there.

I encountered the streaks, and artifacting when I moved my core frequency to 301...

Also, I noticed a much better 3d-mark score at the slightly lower core frequency, leading me to believe that the problem is indeed heat.

One major issue I encountered was the fact that I run an SB Live sound card in the same rig. 3D-Mark 2003 would hang almost immediately when it went into the sound test.

Installing the latest SB Live drivers (supposedly optimized for XP and Windows 2000) solved this issue. I am now able to achieve 10,015 3D-Marks 2001SE, and 8600 3D-Marks 2003.

Things you should check...

a) Mobo drivers updated?
b) Latest Catalyst 3.5 drivers installed.
c) Type of ram on your 8500
d) Do you use a Creative sound card of any kind. If you do, then install the latest drivers, and shift your card (if not already) to either pci slot 4 or 5.
e) Cooling. Make sure that your case cooling system is up to the task. I once cut a hole in the side of my housing and installed a 120mm Globalwin fan blowing directly at my graphic card and cpu. Gave me quite a few points more in o/c headroom, and a stable fsb of 148 mhz. Not bad considering that my ambient temp is always around 32 degrees C, and my ram blocks were Infeneon cas 3 chips running aggressive at cas 2 that I bought for cheap.

A slot fan helps a little, but not much...

Back