• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700np DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mysphyt

Just bought the $200 9700np from mwave mentioned over in Cyber Deals, stripped my old nVidia drivers (the newest Omegas), yanked my card out of my system, and stuck the new card in my system. No signal whatsoever when I tried booting. Nothing on the VGA out, nothing on the DVI out, just nothin'. The fan spins and everything, so I know it's getting power, and as my buddy pointed out to me, it is warming up, but given the fact that I hope my vid card will do a little more than heat up my system. :D

So is there something ridiculously obvious that I haven't thought to do? Is there some sort of new vid card dance I should have performed? I'm back on my humdrum GF3 TI 200 for now, and I'm planning to call ATI tomorrow. What can I do to check things 'til then?

There was actually a Molex y-splitter mounted on the thing, I figured that worked just as well, but yeah, there was additional power.

Cornsarnit. It seems to work fine on my buddy's computer, so it's probably some sort of weirdness with my mobo. He had a 9500np before switching mine in, though, but that shouldn't make a difference (grasping at straws). Well, I guess this means I'll be up all night trying to figure this thing out. :mad:

As to the reseating bit, I've taken it out and put it back in twice now, with no success. I'll try it a few times.

AAR, I'm gonna bench it now, just so I can put his poor, sad little card to shame. *muha*

It looks like you got a kt133 board... I'm not totally sure but I don't think they support 4x/8x

Don't think that's true; I know the BIOS allows me to set it up to 8x. It was running at 4x with my GF3. I'm gonna try resetting my BIOS, and then flashing it, if that doesn't work.

Okay, so it only supports 4x. But, for some reason beyond my ken, it worked after I cleared my BIOS. It boggles the mind, but I ain't complaining. ;)

One would think. It's not working again; it's very on-and-off. I've been able to boot it maybe 5 times out of probably 40 attempts or so. Paul's KR7A-133 FAQ suggests that I flash my BIOS, so I'll try that. Any other ideas as to what could be wrong?

AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible to 4X so it should run fine. Flashing the bios could help, never know till you try. Dont forget to backup your old bios first.

Probably a good idea to put your old vid card in before you flash

Also, what kind of power supply do you have? It takes a bit of juice to run the new Ati cards

It's a 350w Sparkle. Abit says there's a known issue that the new BIOS is supposed to fix with the R9700P and certain PSUs. The model number of the ones that don't work doesn't match mine, but the wattage does. It's up and running now, but the display doesn't come on 'til I hit Windows, so I figure there's still something wrong. :/

I would recheck the molex power connector. If you have a VM make sure the voltage is getting to the card. Try connecting it to different legs on the 12v rail.

:cool:

Happened to have my multimeter handy and my case open, so I just checked. 12v is coming in at 11.8 and 5v at 4.9. Could be better, but could be worse.

Arright, now this just boggles the mind. If I go to advanced properties under display settings it reboots my computer.

My brain hurts.

Back