• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Slave with Sata Master Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fernis

I am currently running a WD Raptor as the only drive in my box. But, I have a WD 800JB ide hd that is not being used and I would like to include it as a slave drive to hold large files such as pictures and music. The 800JB has a full install of windows on it right now. I just unplugged it from my system when I received the raptor. My question is, do I have to format or clear the 800JB before I can run it as a slave for data storage? BTW both HDs are formated with ntfs and have win xp pro installed.

No.
Install it in any position on an IDE port and make sure your BIOS is set to boot to the SATA drive. You can do whatever you want with the 80gig after that.
You may have to go into the disk management utility, right click the drive, change the drive letter, and add it to Windows.
Good luck!

xp HAS THIS HABBIT OF CHECKING FOR OTHER OS IN THE PC. when you boot you may get an option screen to choose which one to boot from. just choose the drive you want and your on your way. This will happen every time you boot.

DarkNight is right. XP does have a habit of doing that, at least from what I’ve heard.
I have slaved drives to my XP machines with just about every O.S. Microsoft produced, including some they didn’t.
A dual boot prompt never came up.
I just “added” it, assigned it a drive letter, and extracted whatever data my customer needed (as long as the drive works properly).
If they don’t want the old drive back, I usually over write the data with Acronis Drive Cleanser and put it on a storage shelf with a few other old drives I’ve managed to collect.
Good luck!

If I'm reading the post right the smaler drive was instaled on the same system. The os is for that system. If you attach a hardrive with an os set up on another configuration windows does not see it as a dual boot. My bet is that he gets the prompt, I have attached drives from other systems as well and never got the prompt.

There is only one system involved. The WD 800JB is the original HD in this computer and Raptor was just bouhgt. I want to run the Win XP and all my programs on the Raptor and have the WD800JB set up as a secondary drive for mass storage of MP3's, video and pictures.

I just did almost the same thing, although I set up 2 Raptors in a serial Raid config and then hooked back up the WD 80g as a master on the secondry IDE channel. I then went in and deleted the 'windows" file off the 80 gig drive anyhow. I've got another computer I built a the office that had a catastophic crash, and the reason determined was that listed above. Windows got confused and couldn't figure out where to boot and lost both installs! Now I remove the unused file just to be safe. I know deleting is not the same as uninstalling, but i've yet to find a "Windows Uninstaller"

Hi!
If you install XP on the Raptor with the WD connected, then you will get the dual boot prompt.
If you install XP on the Raptor with the WD disconnected, then connect the WD after the install of XP, you will not get the dual boot prompt.
The install of XP on the Raptor will see the WD but not assign it a drive letter. You will have to do that manually.
If you want to be sure at that point, move any data you want to save from the WD to the Raptor, format the WD, and move the data back.
It works every time for me.
Good luck!

I look at it this way. Backup your improtant stuff and do a clean sweep of both drives. IMHO 80% of the computers out there need to be formated and clean installed. I do mine once a year or whenever I get a major upgrade.

Back