• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Startinh Hardcore CAD and 3DS Max, what card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Then I would recommend getting a Nvidia based video card. To be more specific a Geforce FX 5900. You my want to check a 3DS and Cad forum too see what other people are using as well. Most will recommend professional graphics cards but I'm using maya just fine with my GF3 (getting my FX5900 this week).

Well tell me how the FX 5900 goes, I need more feedback for this matter still. If any one can direct me to some CAD forums that would be great, thanks.

If it is for games , then scrap the thought of a wildcat . Quadro or Firegl is the way to go if you have the $$ . If not, a soft mod is a definite consideration .

It's a funny thing...there are people who want to get into CAD and they think that buying the best gaming card will do as good a job as one of the best workstation cards, yet you also get those numskulls who spend $500 on a workstation card because they think it's better then the current best gaming card...odd

i really cant see much difference between a workstation card, or a gaming card. maybe im not setting it up right or something?

workstation card is for design for CAD and 3d animation software not for games at all. It renders fast and runs the programs a lot better then a gaming card. Also if you would try out 3ds max or CAD if you have a lot of textures you are trying to add arms to a creature most gaming cards will start lagging and it would be hard to do anything but the workstation card won't. I guess you have to test both card to see why one is better then the other on curtain things. I've done animation and CAD so I know the difference.

Well by the looks of this 4th year stuff, its going to be insane... Textures inside houses that look so close to the real thing its insane... Still deciding. Need more Input. Put the FX 5900 is looking to be best right now.

I don't know the difference between a consumer card and a workstation card. im not gonna pretend. But if i was going to be using those kind of programs on a long period basis i would get a card that is made for it. I wouldnt want a consumer gaming card start to screw up before i had to turn a project in. If u want to play games to maybe investing in a cheap secondary rig is in order. Just my opinions.

Yeah exactly my thoughts, I wish I had the money for 2 towers, one for gaming the other for graphics. But wouldnt say the 3dlabs cards still run video games at great graphics?

Maxwell Murder said:
Yeah exactly my thoughts, I wish I had the money for 2 towers, one for gaming the other for graphics. But wouldnt say the 3dlabs cards still run video games at great graphics?

Probably not. The reason is, they have absolutly no gaming related coding in their drivers.

Ahh true... Well I suppose I might go with the fx5900 then soft mod it. Does any one know of any web sites where I can get info and the likes for soft moding it?

Maxwell Murder said:
Ahh true... Well I suppose I might go with the fx5900 then soft mod it. Does any one know of any web sites where I can get info and the likes for soft moding it?

Well softmoding it to a Quadro would end in the same results...poor gaming, good CAD and such. The nVidia drivers for the Quadro also have little to no coding at all for gaming

if you can't afford an actual workstation card get geforce FX card, the non workstation Nvidia cards are far better in professional aplications than the ATI cards, i've personaly had better luck with the geforce 4 TI series than fire GL series in proffesional apps, the ATI's wouldn't even run with hardware open GL. I do some proffesional cad apps on my computer at home, autocad and solidworks, the FX 5900 ultra is awesome for them.

Ok, so I think now I'm set on a FX 5900 Ultra. No soft modding. Thx for the feedback every one. More feedback would be great if any one has any other ideas.

No , soft mod a 9700/9800 or 5900 to their professional equivalents but have the professional drivers and soft mod on one boot partition or harddrive ( in the same computer ). And then on the other partition or harddrive have gaming drivers .

Set it up so that you have a nice boot menu , or better, a switch which will determine which harddrive to boot from . The game drive , or the work drive .

Back