• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 9600 Pro,I am not impressed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I have always been a Nvidia fan,but things change.I wanted to buy a 9500 Pro but ended up with a 9600 Pro and I am not getting any better frame rates than my Ti 4200.
Can anyone tell me the best way to set up this card as far as tweaking it?
I know nothing about ATI cards and am wondering if I should send it back to New Egg and exchange it tor the 9500 Pro,they didn't have it when I got this one.
I have read the tweak info for this card but I guess it isn't sinking in:)

Thanks

From what I understand the 9600Pro sucks big at stock. All I can tell you is either get the 9500Pro (or 9700NP if you can afford it) or OC the hell out of the 9600Pro.

DAve see what you can get on an OC. While the overclocks are mixed.. some get good oc's... others not to good. Try and see what you can get. If you must return it... Id suggest you find a cheap 9700np around 200. The 9500pro is like 195... so... Id skip the 9500pro.

9600pro will do better with details like AA and Anistro on. The GF4's were terrible with AA and AF. But they are beats without it on. So you may not get better fps without AA and AF but you will get massively better with them on.

shouldnt have got 9600 pro
and why would you if you already have ti4200? The difference between the two doesnt really justify an upgrade imo.

It will definately be better with aa/af.. still it's not a good performer and a 256 9500np is faster. My 9600 Pro was slower than my Ti4200 as well with performance settings and both oveclocked.

Dave, overclock the he** outa the R9600PRO, it's not a great card @ stock settings........but there is a TON of room for overclocking this little bad-boy

Also, you won't notice much of an FPS change UNTIL you enable bandwidth crunching features like FSAA.

Try running that O'clocked R9600PRO w/ 4xFSAA and 8 or 16x AF w/ max details in your favorite games, then try going back to the Ti4200:D

Yea i agree OC because its no 9500 pro but it comes kinda close well not really but for me a ti4200 is good enough, i dont see why so many people are upgrading now?

I'm considering getting either a 9500 pro or 9600 pro.. they're both around the same price, and I want to stay under $200 if i can. Is the 9500 directx 9 capable? Cuz the '6 is, and it seems to be a little more refined (no external power, .13 micron etc) so I'm leaning towards the 9600 since I will be playing a lot of doom 3 and hl2 (directx 9 stuff) i hope. Either way I'm sure its a quantum leap up from my current elsa gladiac geforce 2mx. -Matt

the 9600 is the lesser of the 2 cards. ATI intentionally made their middle of the road card weaker in hopes to sell more top end cards.

i can't find a 9500pro anywhere for cheaper than 180. for that kind of money you'd be better off getting a 9700 non pro. even if it won't OC well it's still the better choice.

Ununquadium114 said:
yea that upgrade was sort of pointless....

Actually I upgraded because the Gainward TI 4200 I have something is wrong with it,I keep getting a pink screen when I play certain games.
I have sent it back twice and it still does it.I have actually relied on my old GForce 2 Ultra,I have sent the TI 4200 back again and hopefully it will be right when it comes back.

I will try and overclock the 9600 and see where I get..
Thanks

Well I overclocked it and the best I can get is about 13000 in 3DMark 2001 that isn't any better than the Ti 4200.SO I think I am going to send it back.Not sure what I will get to replace it.

Good idea. The 9500 Pro performs much better, but as suggested the prioce difference between that and a 9700 non-pro is minimal, therefore the wiser choise.

I'd personally stick with the Ti4200 for now, until a game comes out that you can't play due to your current video card.

EDIT: Just read an above post, I'd get the ATI 9500 Pro since the Ti4200 is a no-go.

Yeah but what about 9X support,will the 9500 Pro have that??

Dave65 said:
Well I overclocked it and the best I can get is about 13000 in 3DMark 2001 that isn't any better than the Ti 4200.SO I think I am going to send it back.Not sure what I will get to replace it.

:rolleyes:

Try running it w/ FSAA, and compare then...o

r try 3Dm03, and compare those scores...

Even an R9700 doesn't get *much* better than a Ti4200 in 3Dm01....that's more of a system bench than a GPU bench anyway..

The real benift of the R9500/R9600/R9700PRO series is the ability to run games w/ ALL THE EYE CANDY, ie FSAA @ decent resolutions, with all effects set to max.

If your'e just running a non-fsaa 3dM01 bench and making a desision based on that, you WILL be equally disspointed w the R9500PRO...

PreservedSwine said:

:rolleyes:

Try running it w/ FSAA, and compare then...o

r try 3Dm03, and compare those scores...

Even an R9700 doesn't get *much* better than a Ti4200 in 3Dm01....that's more of a system bench than a GPU bench anyway..

The real benift of the R9500/R9600/R9700PRO series is the ability to run games w/ ALL THE EYE CANDY, ie FSAA @ decent resolutions, with all effects set to max.

If your'e just running a non-fsaa 3dM01 bench and making a desision based on that, you WILL be equally disspointed w the R9500PRO...

Ok well that explains a lot,I did not know that..Thanks..

I will download the 2003 3D Marks

And yes I was basing it on that..

In 3D Mark 2003 I got 3425 as a score with the 9600 Pro/.

Back