• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally!!! My watercooling is up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good idea what tio said. submerge your board in rubbing alcohol, then let it dry for a day or 2 while a fan is blowing on it.

its nothing to panic about, ive given my whole computer a nice shower of water wetter, water, and antifreeze +more 4 times already. i just let it dry and it lives on.
in fact ive gotten a mixture of battery acid and distrilled water on it last week.

good luck

Well it dried, and I got everything back up and running. I got the computer to boot once, and when I went to BIOS to check the temps it said 34C...so hopefully the temps have dropped some. I then saved and exited BIOS, and I think my PSU is not dying. When it restarted, my cathode started blinking really fast, and I could hear the fans throttling down and up. I flipped the switch on the back of my PSU to see if it would be normal if I left it for a while, and when I tried to turn it back on same thing...This is so frustrating.

That sux man, I'm with ya tho, I carved a notch in my motherboard installing my WW. I think getting the new block caused us to get into a bigger hurry than normal. Of course it could be just me. hehe Hope you get it figured out. :)

I did the exact same thing. I had that Antifreeze and it dripped all over my video card. I let it dry for a couple days, and booted it up, and had problems from the get go. I noticed a oil film on the card and decided to clean it. I submerged it in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol over and over, rubbing the board with my finger tips. After it dried, there was still a film there. The best thing to do if this happens again, is immediatly submerge it in the alcohol so nothing bonds to anything and that nothing has any dried or wet impurities.

I RMA'd my Video card and got a new one.. btw..

The best advice is to run the system outside of the case for a few days pulling on the tubing, rechecking every fitting. Taking time to look everything over, install the system, recheck everything again, USE WATER WETTER, and distilled water.

Lessons are learned the hard way. I bet that you’re using 1/2” OD tubing over 1/2” ID fittings and yes the tubing will slip off if you are not using some means of a clamp. I use 3/8” ID tubing over 1/2” OD fittings and NO hose clamps and do not have a problem. I can not even pull the tubing off. My temp’s DO NOT suffer using smaller tubing even though some preach in these forums they see HUGE temp changes going from 3/8" to 1/2", BS. Good luck……

I set up my first water-cooling setup last night, and it is bleeding right now. I used a 20:1 combination of distilled water and Zerex racing cooling. After an hour of running, the water was an opaque peach, but this morning, it has changed to a translucent pink. So the "foamy" appearance you mentions should disappear over time.

DodgeViper, I ditched the anti-freeze and used my water wetter and distilled water. I cannot figure out what is wrong with my computer now though. It seens like the PSU but before I had this problem the PSU was working well. IT was even running strong for the first couple of reboots after my board was dry. Any ideas fellas? Could there have been water in there, and it is just shorting out? Should I open up the PSU and take a hair-dryer to it? Should I just get a new PSU? Thanks for the help.

DodgeViper, I also use 1/2" ID tubing and most of my fittings are 1/2" OD, while a few of the fittings are 5/8" OD.

Is this your first time watercooling or have you been doing this for long time.

Insure your water/liquid is full in the watercooling system.

You will get foams if the water is not full.

Any of air leaking areas will cause foams too.

Even if it's not leaking, you need full amount of liquid, period.

Warm water will get you nice high temperatures.

Check for water flow to make sure it's at full strength.

The part of the problem is the amount of water is limited by your system. More liquid would help some. A good heatercore would help some but still has its limit. It can only do so much.

and as mentioned by me and Cathar, insure your block and cpu is making a nice firm even contact.

hehe

I reseated the block yesterday after everything dried out. When I booted to BIOS I went to the PC Health Status and watched the temps for 5min. It stayed at 34C. I then booted to windows and looked at MBM5...still 34C, but the CPU was running at like 584Mhz or something. So i rebooted so that I could re-set the overclocked settings that I use, to see what the temp was under those circumstances. After windows shut down, the computer will no longer boot. My cathode blinks very rapidly like a strobe light, the LED's on my motherboard blink very rapidly, I can hear my fans throttling down and up, and the LED's on the front of my DVD drive and my CD burner blink very rapidly.

I have a feeliong that it is my PSU. I dont know what could have happened to it, and that is what I am asking for help with. This is a new problem as of last night, and it is really bugging me.

I used Water Wetter and distilled water this time around. After 12hrs of bleeding the foamyness is gone and all I have is water in the system. I have the most liquid that the watercooling loop will take in there and some extra in the t-line incase there is more air in the loop that just isnt showing itself. It is not leaking...I made sure. The water I am using is by no means warm. It has been sitting in my room for 3 days, and my room is around a constant 64 degrees F. I have a good ammount of flow throughout the system. My heatercore is relativly good. I assume it is a chevette core since it is about the same demensions. When I re-mounted the block I am sure I did a pretty good job. If the temps are outrageous when I re-overclock my CPU I will reseat it and see if I may be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions.

did the system ever reboot when you try/or accidently moving/ touching the ATX Power connector or the Wires that goes to the ATX Power connector? I found some Abit NF7 board does it, which happens to be defact.

and check and see if you have any corrosions on the resistors/ capacitors on the circuit on your board.

REQUEST:

People, please read through the thread before posting a response here. Thread topics have a habit of changing over the course of a few days when the thread-starter keeps updating his situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Altec: I suggest you try to find an alternate power supply (maybe from another one of your rigs or from a friend's rig) and see if it really is your PSU that's crapping out on you. From what you have said, it does sound as though your PSU could very well be the problem.

I swapped out with my old Dell PSU and it does not seem to be the problem. The motherboard is toast I think. I called Abit Tech Support, and told them the entire situation. The guy told me that it sounded like I have BIOS corruption or some other problem, and told me to just RMA the board. I just finished my RMA request, so hopefully I will have a new board soon.

REQUEST:

People, please read through the thread before posting a response here. Thread topics have a habit of changing over the course of a few days when the thread-starter keeps updating his situation.
REQUEST:

People, please pay attention to those who "actually" knows what's been happening with Altec's system. Even though the topic discussion has been changed over time, they are "aware" of what's has happened and changed with his system.

;) ;)

I swapped out with my old Dell PSU and it does not seem to be the problem. The motherboard is toast I think. I called Abit Tech Support, and told them the entire situation. The guy told me that it sounded like I have BIOS corruption or some other problem, and told me to just RMA the board. I just finished my RMA request, so hopefully I will have a new board soon.
As I knew, the motherboard could easily be the problem. Many people tend to blame on the PSUs, very easily. At some point, they automatically blame on the PSUs. PSUs can go wrong yes.. but there has been more problems with the board causing problems than the PSUs do lately.

As I have mentioned before, motherboard can cause this. It happened to me before. Almost similar problem as Altec's, which is, system auto reboot and fans go up and down as if the system is ready to go "sleepy". ;) That's the board that is causing problem, not necessarily the PSU. I have tried three different PSUs on that same board. Antec PP403x 400watt, Antec TruePower TrueControl 550watt, and Antec SmartPower 350. All gave same problem. The problem remained. It was the (excuse me)Freakin' board. I have plenty of experience with all these boards. People also blame on the PSUs because they can't overclock to where they want when there were actually other components were the limiting factors, including your cooling/overclocking skills. ;)

and this is why I asked him:
did the system ever reboot when you try/or accidently moving/ touching the ATX Power connector or the Wires that goes to the ATX Power connector? I found some Abit NF7 board does it, which happens to be defact.

The words aren't just there to fill space. They have meanings.. and not trying to waste time either. Very powerful meaning.
:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the assistance [OC]this. I have a good feeling that it is in fact the motherboard that is the culprit since I did a pretty good job of covering my other bases before jumping to conclusions: different CPU, different memory in all the dimms, reset CMOS, switched PSU, and reseated every connector that was there.

I even took the board out of the case, set it on a static bag on my desk, hooked up only the necessities...CPU (air cooling this time), memory, video, and harddrive...and still no POST. Everything is not throttling down as it was before, but it will not POST just sits there with all the fans at full throttle, motherboard LED's on, and then shuts itself off in about 30sec. Oh well...good thing Abit agreed to RMA it with a $25 USD charge. ;)

Yeah. I'm actually faily surprised they're letting you RMA the board. Oh well, at least you'll have a new board in a little while. :)

Back