• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rip 1700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its great that you've fixed cpu problem but let me take a stab at why it happened. I've recently been reading that the nf7-s sometimes freaks out when a processor is switched or reseated. And that you should clear cmos BEFORE taking your rig apart.

I don't know how true it is, but i've heard several NF7-S owners have had problems similar to Altecs when they start messing with their cpus. The problem would eventually be fixed somehow by clearing cmos continuosly and or powering down for awhile.

Something to consider if it ever happens again :eh?:

altec said:
Funny you should say that. I just gave my motherboard a nice bath by accident. Everything is drying, hopefully it will live through this also. :rolleyes:

Ouch.. :eek: Just make sure it's totally dry and it should be fine. Was it running when you decided to give it a bath? You might want to try drying it quicker with a hair dryer.

It wasnt running...it was weird. I had the hose clamped to the outlet on my pump, and it still slid off. I was getting the block seated a little better, and when I set the case upright again...ploop and the board is soaking. So i dried it with paper towels/toilet paper...and it has been sitting on my bed for 4 1/2 hours. I am gonna let it dry for a good 24 before I even try to get it up and running again.

Funny you mention the hair-dryer. I just asked about doing that in the watercooling section, in my threrad. Is there any way that could damage the board or anything...I want to make sure this thing is going to live...not give it more reason to die on me. ;)

I attempted to wash my keyboard under the sink :D Didn't turn out too well because after letting it dry for 3 days, I plugged it in and it didnt work so I took it apart. The little rubber things that push the key up had water under them. Moral of the story: check anywhere it could have water make sure its not carrying any water at all.

That is easier said than done. The motherboard surface is very very shiny and it is hard to tell where the water is residing. I also physically cannot get into certain areas of the motherboard with paper towels or toilet paper because of the capacitors and such on the motherboard. I also tried Q-tips and they simply are not very absorbant...so scratch that. I need to find a way to make sure it is totally dry before I feel comfortable firing this thing up.

Probably sit it in a sunny place inside(its humid out) and let it dry a few hours on each edge so that if there is any water hiding, it will come out eventually.

Hair dryer? (or does that make static electricity..)

Maybe an air hose hooked to a compressor? Would you just be able to blow the hell out of it for a few minutes? Seems like it would be easy to dry it out? Or maybe Im misssing somethin..

It might be easier to dry it out but still he should let it sit out for at least 24 hours, if not more. I'd probably end up using a leaf blower to start out and a hair dryer to end. I've used the leaf blower before to undust my computer, needless to say it worked. I dont know how good it would dry things but I figure that much air moving that fast could move water out of tight spaces. Just be careful because it is powerful and when I got it close I saw pieces of my computer start to flex...

I feel for you, man. A couple of weeks ago I dropped my phone in the toilet. It took a bunch of days to dry out and still ain't right.
Don't really want to put it next to my head, either.

Use distilled water in case of spills

I have been water cooling for 4 yrs now with only a few problems. One time the water pump failed still the processor survived overnight at 70c. I dont believe any air cooled overclocked processor can do this

Jen

One of the guys on these forums had a Duron that ran at 95C for a few hours and lived...

Back to the point, Does that seem like a PSU problem to you, something shorting to the case or another metal component, or some other bizarre problem. When I was putting the block on I somehow managed to slip with the flathead and it looks like I took the red paint off in one spot, but I dont think I cut any traces. The computer boot up twice. Once to BIOS and once to windows. I then tried to go back to BIOS to put in my overclocked settings, and this happens. Thanks for all of your suggestions. If it turns out to be the PSU this is what I am looking at: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=Fortron-+P530XF530W
If you notice it is a 530W PSU that peaks at 600W, it is made by Fortron which is very highly recommended, and is only $75.

If you are thinking about getting a new PSU in that price range, have you look at an Antec True Power 480 which has 22A on 12V and 3% line regulation which I consider both are important for overclocking. It can be had for around $90 shipped. Do some more research and ask around.

Hitechjb, would you call the Antec True480W a better PSU than the Fortron 530W? I am looking to spend as little as possibe for a high quality product seeing as I am already in debt.

I am not sure if it is even my PSU. From reading about the problem, what do you think. I explained what happened in better detail in the watercooling forum in the link I provided in my first post on this page. Thanks for the assistance.

They both are considered good from many people's opinion in this forum. Each individual may has his/her own opinion. My post was in response to yours about possible upgrading your PSU and I did not consider whether your current PSU was limiting your overclocking.

Since now you are on water and getting say 100 MHz better CPU overclocking, and that translates into about 5-8% more power on the 12V line (since you have NF7-S), assuming there is no change in other components. That also depending on how close to the PSU limit was before you changed to water.

Hitechjb1: I dont think my PSU was limiting my overclock. It was going strong until yesterday. All of my rails were perfectly fine and seemed to be pretty stable when everything was under full load.

Two days ago, I accidently spilled half of my watercooling loop all over my motherboard. I let it dry for 24hrs and sporadically went to it with a hair-dryer for about 20min intervals. I then hooked it all back up last night. I booted it and it was fine. I went into the PC health status in BIOS and looked at the temps for like 5min. It was holding steady at 34c. So I saved and exited BIOS even though I made no changes, and let it boot into windows. It went to windows fine. I rechecked my temps for a while in the Winbond Hardware Doctor. IT looked like it was holding steady at 34c. So I brought up MBM5 and noticed that the CPU was running at like 584Mhz. So I restarted to go back to BIOS to re-set my overclock to see what the temps were in that condition. When it rebooted, the fans throttled down quite a bit, and I noticed that my cathode was flickring very fast like a strobe light. I then looked at the DVD drive and my CD burner, and the lights on the front of those were also flickering very quickly. I opened up the case and the LED's on the motherboard were also flickering. I flipped the PSU switch on the back thinking that maybe it was something making a bad connection. I looked around in there and everything seemed to be ok, si I tyied again and the same thing happened. I havent fooled with it today...but I am starting to believe my PSU is dying for some reason. Does that sound like a PSU problem to you, or do you have any other ideas? Thanks for the help guys.

Back