• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rip 1700...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
Well I think I killed my miracle 1700 that took me to 2530Mhz on air. I got all the rest of my watercooling stuff, set it up and went to boot. At first it wouldnt POST...so I reset the CMOS hoping that it would work, and it did. It POSTed, so I went ahead and tried to boot to Winblows. At first it went to the loading screen, and then rebooted. It went to the loading screen again, but this time the Scandisk thing came up. It went through and checked my harddrive, and then rebooted. I then booted to the windows log-in screen. I typed in my PW and when it tried to take me to Winblows, the computer just powered off. I turned it back on, hoping that something just went wrong. I tried again and it just powered off again when Winblows tried to load.

I hope I didnt crush the core when I was mounting the CPU block or anything. This was such a good CPU, I hope it isn't dead. If it is I have a 2200 t'bred A that can be used until I get another good overclocker. Please pray to the Overclocking Gods for me, so they can show me if something else if out of place or something.

If you have any other clues as to why this is happening, please tell me. I am willing to do anything to get this thing to work tomorrow. Everything is dry, everything is in place (from what I can tell), and I think I have gone through everything. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Well heres hoping that you didnt kill it. I had a cpu do the same thing though. I installed it and it booted to cmos but it was posting at the wrong fsb@100 instead of 133. I reset the fsb to 133 and rebooted and I smelled smoke. I dont know why it did that but needless to say it doesnt work anymore :( . Hopefully you didnt crush the core and maybe you have a ram chip that died or even something more simple. Good luck man :attn:

The over clocking god is also the hardware god and when he took you 1700 he was telling you to sacrifice more hardware to him or else ! :p

PS try some DOS base programs / games to see if it is your chip and not your HDD

Is this happening at default settings, or OC'd altec? Sorry if it's really dead. But, try the L12 mod on the 2200. I have been reading alot on other forums about that, and it really is working for alot of people. Not just on the 1700 TBred, and not just on the NF7-S board either.

Crazy thing is it seems to be working on 333fsb (non-Barton), chips that are knocked back to 266fsb. Weird stuff, and no one seems to be able to explain it.

:p

so does it stay up when you're in bios? not that i have any tips but curious...i hope you didn't kill it either...good luck, altec. if you happen to want another dlt3c 1700, my local store has 4 left...0319wpmw's....

Ooo, that sucks man. Hope its not messed up. I would try what Stedeman said and see if any DOS based stuff works. Here's to hoping. :beer:

Sounds to me like youive either got a clog in your system, or your waterblock isn't seated properly. Make sure that there are no kinks or leaks; sometimes they are hard to miss. I doubt that you could've crushed the core. It's a lot harder than one would think. Good luck; it really would suck if its broken, but I do doubt that it is.

I did the same thing as you... make sure you didnt break any resistors around the mouting holes like me..

Adam

(rip good C1 8rda+)

I had a similar problem when I put my new wb on. It just wasn't seated right, once I messed with it a couple times it was all good. Just try to reseat it it may fix it.

I doubt the core got crushed because it does work to some extent. Can you get into the BIOS and watch the CPU temp? Does it shoot up quickly? If so, then the WB probably isn't mounted properly.

good luck!

drshivas said:
I doubt the core got crushed because it does work to some extent. Can you get into the BIOS and watch the CPU temp? Does it shoot up quickly? If so, then the WB probably isn't mounted properly.

good luck!

What he said. Boot up into the BIOS and watch your temps.

Well everyone, last night I actually got it to boot to windows. When I would restart though it said "The CPU has been changed and is unworkable"...I had no idea what it meant, but I tried to go back to my overclocked settings. When I did this it wouldnt even POST, so I feft it and went to sleep. This afternoon, I took the whole thing apart and re-assembled it. At first it wouldnt POST like last night, but I fiddled around with it for like 20min...resetting CMOS, playing with the power connectors to make sure they were seated good, playing with my memory to make sure it was seated good, and Wham! It POSTed and took me straight to Windows without a hitch. I checked the temp, and it was 32C idle and 36C load. This was at stock settings, so I thought that I would try to OC it to where it was. I set the vcore to 1.9v, FSB to 220Mhz, and multiplier to 11.5, and saved the settings. It POSTed again and took me to windows without a hitch. I guess there was just some little thing wrong, but it is working now. I guess computers can be picky with how everything is set...either that or it was trying to recover from it's surgery. :p

The only complaint I have is that with the watercooling installed, I have the same temps that I did with air. with everything re-configured it is at 45Cidle and 49C load. I guess I dropped about 2C...but I was hoping for a lot more. Oh well, maybe if I play a little more it will drop some.

altec...
Shame on you for comparing your rig to those that air cool... If i had the $$ and time, I'd go with the water cooling kit (DIY style) forgoing the noise levels of my 2 Vantec's F-5 Tornado's.... yes, you might be getting comparible temps to an aircooled system, but you don't stagger off to the other rooms dizzy from the whinning sounds of 119cfm fans, do you? I'm crazy'd about oci'n with my own budget (plastic is worn out)... however, you might want to consider place a cooling unit (small personal fridge) next to your rig and run the water cooler unit (pump/tank/radiator?) from the fridge and see how that might work. (my next step up with water cooling unit. just a thought i had. but your rig rocks overall dude!

I do appreciate the noise drop quite a bit...it is almost silent!

The problem with chilling the water is the need for insulating the tubing, the CPU socket, and a lot of other things that I simply dont have the $ for. I may look into it when I am out of debt...but for now this is wonderful!

Funny you should say that. I just gave my motherboard a nice bath by accident. Everything is drying, hopefully it will live through this also. :rolleyes:

Back