• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommedation on good heatsink for 9700 np

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

plan to remove the shim and thought about replacing the heatsink on my 9700 np as well as adding some sort of ramsinks

any linkage guys and for us Canucks the cheapest place to get tweakmonster ramsinks or something similar that may be cheaper, will order within Canada or from US as I assume the tweakmonsters will be cheaper.

Any opinions on this

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/heatpipe.htm

Cisco KID

lol, i had just bought it 1 week ago from www.bigfootcomputers.com and i tryd to put it on. Now before i bought it i asked if it will go on my radeon 9800 PRO 256! i especially emphasized the 256 part because i need to have something take off heat from the DDR-II chips. so e shot through his sales talk and babbled yes yes yes, radeon will work, now how many you want? i get mine 1 week later and i find out that due to the memory chips needing heatsinks, it dosent even touch them, jsut the core, and therefore want even providing any heat transfer for my RAM chips. What im trying to say is if you have a radeon 9800 PRO, or even a 9700 PRO,, make sure that it does touch the heatsinks, and if not, make little copper pads to slip under the hug heatsink.

other than that, replace that stock fan with the same size (dont remember) panaflo one with goood airflow.

let me get this straight, so if my video card has ramsinks this and the zalman wont touch the vpu???

this is really a problem since i want ramsinks on my HOT ram of my card.

I also heard that the zalman actualy does a better job than this one when using a sepparate 80mm fan. The wimpy fan this dude carries is worthless

edit: alright i checked some reviews and the giant II is a little better than the zalman zm80A-HP but mainly because of the wimpy fan.

anyhow, i believe the zalman is taller than the giant so it will allow ramsinks, which i believe is a better feature than performance against them.

edit2: it allows ramsinks on the vpu side of the card but not below :-/

bottom line, i suggest you cisco to get the cooljag for the vpu if you are eager for ramsinks (these ones get hot, im gonna do it) :D

Last edited:
think I will just settle on lapping the stock sink and adding some AS2 or 3 whatever I have lying around after removing the shim and see where the temps are from there. Next will be the cheapest route for BGA ramsinks, any ideas guys the tweakmonsters are sexy but a rip off

Cisco KID

Check and see if your shim is level with the core.. alot of them are perfectly level. If it is then you can easily superglue a big cpu HSF to the shim with AS3 on the core.. if it's not you can drill holes in the HSF if you are not too lazy. For HSF that come for the right size Crystal ORB should do better than the stock.. Don't get an Iceberq 4 because they suck bad. I don't think you can fit on very many ramsinks with that Zalman thingy and i hear it sucks without good fans on it. For ramsinks i use the heatsinks from Tt heatspreader kit cut up. They cost less than tweakmonster ones and you get 2 copper heatspreaders free, still expensive though if you don't wany heatspreaders or hate cutting metal. Also OCZ makes ramsinks that are cheaper i think.

q149 said:
Check and see if your shim is level with the core.. alot of them are perfectly level. If it is then you can easily superglue a big cpu HSF to the shim with AS3 on the core.. if it's not you can drill holes in the HSF if you are not too lazy. For HSF that come for the right size Crystal ORB should do better than the stock.. Don't get an Iceberq 4 because they suck bad. I don't think you can fit on very many ramsinks with that Zalman thingy and i hear it sucks without good fans on it. For ramsinks i use the heatsinks from Tt heatspreader kit cut up. They cost less than tweakmonster ones and you get 2 copper heatspreaders free, still expensive though if you don't wany heatspreaders or hate cutting metal. Also OCZ makes ramsinks that are cheaper i think.

Thanks for the tip, I do plan to remove the shim unless after checking I am 100% sure it is level with gpu. I think for now I will just lap the sink and replace with AS3 or I may use an XP2100 retail sink and fan with drilled holes and add some ramsinks.

Cisco KId

If you have an extra AMD stock HSF. You can drill holls in it and mount it on your card... its what I did. Works like a charm. I got the idea from another member who did it. Someone then made a guide based on it. Its posted here somewhere.

hey cisco....im having the same problem with my radeon 9800np...would you mind letting me know what you are/have donr to solve the problem?

Back