• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600pro vs. 9500softmod stats

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And back to the point, you're fixating on a logical fallacy... You are making the assumption that data is missing, yet you have no way to back that up. You are simply picking your numbers completely out of thin air, with absolutely ZERO to back you.

The NUMBERS from [H]ardforum, from Rage3D, from here, from ClubSi Out There, from numerous other places all suggest that YOU are in the wrong. I've seen a lot of people claim failure, I've seen the same number claim success. Every poll, every thread and every general discussion shows the same results: approximately 50/50.

Until YOU CAN FIND AND PROVE better numbers, the CURRENT DATA is 50/50. And contrary to your illogical assumption from above, nobody is being TOLD to EXPECT a 9700 out of any given 9500np. And anyone who DOES EXPECT a 9700 out of it is a t00L.

50/50 doesn't mean a guarantee, and anyone who's been through Basic Algebra knows this. In fact, even people who didn't pass Algebra likely already know this. In fact, I don't recall anyone even mentioning it was a sure thing, so you can be dropping that part of your argument as well.

Albuquerque said:
And back to the point, you're fixating on a logical fallacy... You are making the assumption that data is missing, yet you have no way to back that up. You are simply picking your numbers completely out of thin air, with absolutely ZERO to back you.

I never picked a number. In fact, I made it a point to say that I have no idea what the percentages and that I wouldn't even try to guess at one. The only statement I ever made on the odds was that 50% was probably an over-optimistic number. Reread my posts on this thread, there isn't a single place where I surmise the exact odds.

The NUMBERS from [H]ardforum, from Rage3D, from here, from ClubSi Out There, from numerous other places all suggest that YOU are in the wrong. I've seen a lot of people claim failure, I've seen the same number claim success. Every poll, every thread and every general discussion shows the same results: approximately 50/50.

Until YOU CAN FIND AND PROVE better numbers, the CURRENT DATA is 50/50. And contrary to your illogical assumption from above, nobody is being TOLD to EXPECT a 9700 out of any given 9500np. And anyone who DOES EXPECT a 9700 out of it is a t00L.

I never argued that the current numbers aren't approximately 50/50, my contention is that the way we have arrived at these numbers is unscientific at best and wholly misleading at worst.

50/50 doesn't mean a guarantee, and anyone who's been through Basic Algebra knows this. In fact, even people who didn't pass Algebra likely already know this. In fact, I don't recall anyone even mentioning it was a sure thing, so you can be dropping that part of your argument as well.

Again, I don't know what you're arguing. Did I ever once say 50/50 meant a guarantee? The only thing I've been arguing (and I hate to repeat myself) is that the 50/50ish odds seen on these and other boards is misleading.

Here are a few reasons why:

1. Polls inherently are flawed. This is why all polls say they have a +-5% error (or whatever). Furthermore, most of the polls that state these types of errors generally have statiticians that do calculations on why they think the polls are off by the amount they claim. These inaccuracies are due to a myriad of reasons including the population pool they're gathered from (for example, people who live in different regions often have vastly different opinions or whatnot when it comes to polls); general mathematical errors inherent in something as nebulous as collecting polls from humans; and also the number of people who submit votes on polls (for instance, a poll that that asks the opinion of one million Americans will be a lot more accurate than one that asks the same question to only one thousand).

AFAIK, the polls on message boards do not have such staticians conducting calculations on polls. So as flawed as polls are to begin with, they are even MORE erroneous given that we don't have the luxury of hiring someone to do such calculations.

2. Polls are inherently flawed Part II. On CNN, they often have polls asking "What do you think of the president's performance?" And then, you have something like 65% think he's doing a good job. But what does that mean? To New Yorkers, a good job might mean, "well, at least he hasn't blown up the country yet" while to other people, it might mean, "I don't like his dog, so he sucks." In short, we have to be careful as to the meaning these polls might generate. Now, when I said people might be lying when it comes to the effectiveness of their softmods, I do not necessarily think that the majority of people who answered "yes" are maliciously lying to skew the polls. A lot of us (myself included), sometimes stretch or bend the truth to better suit our perceptions. For instance, a lot of people consider "stable" being able to run Prime 95 for 6 hours straight, whereas other people won't be happy until 24 hours pass without a single hiccup. On the same token, some people, who experience very minor artifacting on their soft-modded cards may convincingly say to themselves, "well, it isn't THAT bad, so it pretty much is a 100% success!" On the other hand, some people may have applied the hacked driver incorrectly, and without trying to do it correctly, may have thrown up their hands in despair and said, "SCREW THIS! It doesn't work!!"

3. Numbers can and often do lie. What about the people, such as myself, who bought multiple 9500NPs? AFAIK, you can only vote once on these polls, so someone like me wouldn't be able to vote on all three failed cards. Right now, there are a hundred votes on the poll on oc-forums. If I were able to vote more than once, my votes alone would skew the results by nearly 3%. Now, what if there are 5 such people as myself who bought 3 9500nps? That means there ten cards unaccounted for. Let us further assume that these 5 people also all experienced failed softmods. That would constitute nearly a 15% change in the polls. On the flip side, maybe these people experienced multiple successful mods. In that case, our polls would severely underestimate the success of the softmod. Whatever may be the case, it is obviously clear that the numbers cannot be completely trusted. And what about the people that bought a 9500NP, failed to softmod, RMAed the card until they got one that worked, and then voted? There is no provision on these polls to deal with such problems.

Perhaps you're thinking that these problems would all cancel each other out? Maybe. I don't know enough about stats to wager a guess on that. However, this observation as well as the fact that there are only 100 votes on the poll make me very suspect. I don't think 100 votes is nearly enough to definitively show what the true percentages are. This would be similar to flipping a coin only ten times, getting 7 heads and 3 tails, then claiming that the odds of getting heads is 70%.

well, this thread has surely heated up

method().man is right, i feel that there isn't enough warning coming from many people that this mod might not work, i just don't want people buying it and becoming disappointed. I mean who is going to replace their card that failed the mod with a 9700?

method().man said:

I never picked a number. In fact, I made it a point to say that I have no idea what the percentages and that I wouldn't even try to guess at one. The only statement I ever made on the odds was that 50% was probably an over-optimistic number. Reread my posts on this thread, there isn't a single place where I surmise the exact odds.

Of course you cannot surmise the exact odds, because there IS no way to. The best you can do is surmise from polls, from posts, from discussions and from segways and side-convos in other posts. The deal is, you're not simply saying "probably over-optimistic", you're saying essentially (yes, go read your posts) that your chances are about 1 in 50 rather than 50/50. An analogy complimentary to the odds of lottery? Yes, you didn't say 1 in 30,000,000 but the analogy certainly dictates a LOT LESS luck than 50% or hell even 10%...

method().man said:
I never argued that the current numbers aren't approximately 50/50, my contention is that the way we have arrived at these numbers is unscientific at best and wholly misleading at worst.
And somehow, with admittidly NO background in statistical analysis , you are drawing numbers out of completely thin air based on your own hunches that are going to be MORE accurate than what you have in writing?!? Can you explain that please?

method().man said:
Again, I don't know what you're arguing. Did I ever once say 50/50 meant a guarantee?
You implied it.. .Isn't this YOU typing here:
method().man said:
I was simply pointing out that EXPECTING a 9700 out of a 9500 is just foolish.
Why YES, it is! You were most certainly implying that we are ALL telling these 9500np potential-purchasers that they're CERTAINLY going to get a 9700! Why gee, that's not a misleading statement on your behalf, now is it? Oh wait, it most certainly is! :rolleyes:

method().man said:
The only thing I've been arguing (and I hate to repeat myself) is that the 50/50ish odds seen on these and other boards is misleading.
So then say that, and LEAVE IT at that. Any more input is absolutely asenine because you have absolutely ZERO to back it. Period. END OF DISCUSSION.

method().man said:
Here are a few reasons why:
You did nothing but focus on a single poll, you took absolutely zero consideration for the hundreds (if not more) threads on EVEN JUST THIS FORUM that discuss this topic. You have hundreds more to go from Rage3D, from HardForum, from Anand, from all over the place that you've completely ignored. There's a single thread on Hardforum that's over 120 pages long that discusses NOTHING MORE than the successes and failures of 9500np attemped soft/hard mods. Maybe you should take some of those threads into consideration instead of basing your entire analysis on one single poll generated at one single forum.

method().man said:
However, this observation as well as the fact that there are only 100 votes on the poll make me very suspect. [...] This would be similar to flipping a coin only ten times, getting 7 heads and 3 tails, then claiming that the odds of getting heads is 70%.

No, it would be equivalent to flipping a coin 100 times, getting 58 heads and 42 tails and saying the odds are 58% -- which wouldn't be far off. (the actual odds on a heads/tails flip of a quarter is 56% heads because the coin is heavier on that side by a scant amount)

There are too many variances that you haven't taken into account. MUCH better yields on R300 cores (inherent in any lithography / silicon process as it ages), more demand for a larger array of cards (meaning more are binned for R9500 use, no matter if it's Pro or Non-Pro).

You are essentially arguing the same principle as Intel binning chips -- that somehow 50% of all the chips that go into a 9500 non-pro are truly flawed and can honestly never be softmodded. Are you serious? Even if 9500np's only made up 10% of the ENTIRE gammut of R300 chips produced, you are effectively saying that 5% of SMC's entire R300 output (or whoever is stamping these things out) is flawed? What!?!?

NO. That's not profitable. Maybe in the very beginning when things are just coming together, but not a FULL YEAR after the things have been in production!

That doesn't mean I'm going to start claiming better numbers, but that does mean I'm going to stick by the original 50/50 estimate and say that even newer cards likely have a better chance of softmodding than the earliest ones did.

You obviously are too stubborn to argue logically or simply have your head too far up your rear side to see what is in front of you. AGAIN, I NEVER CLAIMED ANY NUMBERS (for the 50 millionth time - and NO, I don't use that number as a statistical absolute, it's called hyperbole. Similar to the lottery quote you seem quite hung up on). It is clear that this is going nowhere so rather than continue this discussion on here, I choose to stop replying to you after this post. If you wish to speak about this more, feel free to PM me. However, realize that any PM from you that has anything to do with this subject will promptly be erased from memory - both digital and analog. Will it feel like talking to a brick wall? Welcome to the club. :rolleyes:

See, a logical person would have realized a long time ago that you base your decisions on the existance of verifiable and useable data.

Guess what? The verifiable and useable data points NOT in the direction that you are heading.

Brick wall indeed:)

-edit-

You know what occurs to me? I have come back to every point you made with an obvious and logical counterpoint. And now that you're completely out of arguments, you decide that you're STILL right and yet somehow just aren't able to argue it anymore. Thus, you're whining your way out of it.

What's even funnier is, I know you're reading this :)

Last edited:
Method man might be "a man", but anyone with half of their common sense would have figured this situation out quite a long time ago.

Unlike some of the NAMELESS SHEEP on this site.

Jesus R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3, couldn't you just leave well enough alone? The only point in coming off with a comment like that is more conflict. And you seem very much like a child yourself now.

Just leave it..........it's getting old.

Back