• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my AMD Athlon 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

I just put this chip in and was wondering what is the average temps for this chip? I started folding just for 10 minutes or so and it jumped to 50C and will probably go hotter.
But AMD's run hotter right?

But are those temps fine? ???
at idol it just dropped to 46C (115F)
I am using a Volcano 5 heatsink with fan
Thermal paste = Heat Sink Compound from RadioShack. Now i know that is not the best thermal paste to use, but it will have to do for now.

yeh they do run hot and the 2400+'s love high voltages! so if your going to overclock I think you better get some major cooling!

Oh and they don't oc that much!

plus it is hot outside and with two computers with two monitors going in my small room = HOT

your temps are high but if its stable it shouldn't kill it! But I'd get a way better HSF and some ASIII!

what would you recommend for the heatsink? if you can give me a link. I usally shop at newegg if they have anything good.

My XP2400 run at 17*133=2260 Mhz. Idle at 44-45C and full load at 51-52C. Motherboard is ABIT KT7A. H/S is Alpha 6035 with 60mm Sunon fan. If you look for a H/S fan, I recommend the SLK800 (Thermalright) with a Smart Fan 2 or Sunon. If you are on a budget then the SK7 is also highly recommended.

I run my XP2400+ AIUGB 0243 with a SLK-800 and a 80mm Tornado (84cfm). Actually i have 4 tornados and a nexus. I can run my chip @ 2510 with 2.1v stable as long as load stays below 36C - 37C. Of Course only during the winter. Right now @ 1.65v 2.1ghz I full load @ 35C with a case temp of 31C. The overclockability of your 2400 all depends on your stepping. I had a AIUCB 0242 that barely did 2.2ghz @ 2v.

thanks, hopefully i can get a 500mhz overclock on my chip.

how did you get above 10,000 on your 3dmark score?
I ran it and only got 8700, but with video card oced i got 9000 and i have a ti4200.

yesterday was a cooler day outside, so today my idle temp was 36C (100F) and full load was 42C (109F).

Mother nature is haveing fun with your box it seems. :)

Even with a beefy heatsink you'll see some higher temps in the summer. The rig in my sig will hit 47C on a hot day doing prime95 work and on a cool night I can't get it to go over 40C doing the same thing. I'm 100% stable even with a half broken CPU so it doesn't bother me.

Definetely, I mean, Im running with a watercooling rig, and the cpu temps stay in the upper 30 C.'s idle, Im kinda dissapointed to get only 250 mhz extra out of that chip overclocking it.

BIB said:
how did you get above 10,000 on your 3dmark score?
I ran it and only got 8700, but with video card oced i got 9000 and i have a ti4200.

Look at your DDR RAM timeings/settings and get those sorted out in bios. Even with everything at stock you should be hitting 10k+ 3dmarks no sweat. I was hitting 11.5K at all stocks speeds and just haveing the RAM tweaked just right.

And yeah.....My 2400+ doesn't OC worth a damn. Although it would've helped if I didn't screw up the chip altering it to run at 166 FSB. :/

OK then how can i mess with the timings, i am not too familiar in that area? Everything right now is set to auto set. So what timing should i put it at?
I got 2 kingston 256 chips in my box.

If it's PC3200 memory try setting the CAS to 2.0, CMD to 1, CL to 6 and then drop the rest of the timeings to 2.

Dram bank interleave should be 4 way.
DRAM Burst length on mysystem is 8.

If it's still happy with those settings then you should see a nice performance boost.

my 2400+ is at 2233 mhz without any voltage changes. On my bios my tems are 40-45 but on windows my cpu tem is messed up it jumps from 40 to 50 to 80 to 10 in a few secods dont now why it does that.

aznchaos said:
my 2400+ is at 2233 mhz without any voltage changes. On my bios my tems are 40-45 but on windows my cpu tem is messed up it jumps from 40 to 50 to 80 to 10 in a few secods dont now why it does that.

Long as you don't smell smoke you should be fine.....try a different program to watch the temps in windows. MBM5 is a good option. Bit rough to figure out at first but it comes in handy at tmes.

now basically messing with the timings to the ram i am overclocking it right?
the ram is PC2100DDR 256mb 2.5V (i of course have two chips)

Back