• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 se release?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I might consider purchasing this card if the claims of softmodding it to a 9800pro actually work. What are everyone's opinion on this?

TheGr8s1 said:
I might consider purchasing this card if the claims of softmodding it to a 9800pro actually work. What are everyone's opinion on this?

well you let me know if that 9700 non pro ends up fer sale as you are local

cisco kid

Cisco Kid said:

well you let me know if that 9700 non pro ends up fer sale as you are local

cisco kid

I've been considering selling my 9700np. I'll keep u in mind bud. The stock hsf is already removed. Shim removed. AS3 applied. And my thermaltake giant 2 heatsink is modifed for 2-4 80mm fans and the side of the heatsink was removed to allow airflow through the card and my newly acquired copper ramsinks from my side fan. When I have the time I'll put up a pic for u to see. I can benchmark safely at 400/320 but it's not the same for everyone so I make no guarantees. But the card has not been volt modded yet so there probably is room to spare.

Check it out.

Should be showing up elsewhere with more info on these cards before long. Powercolors are always expensive. Anyway, looks like it's a 9800 Pro with half the pipes cut, just like the 9500np.

Edit: Powercolor's site has limited info about the card. Gameve is also showing it.

Edit 2: thomasysl, that first link you gave actually says that the 9800se mods to a 9800 using the same method as the 9500np. Interesting. These cards will surely be coming down in price rather quickly, as I just noticed 9800nps are selling for $255.

Last edited:
Hi shade00

Thats is a good price for 9800np, but the reseller in Singapore are not bringing the np version in, therefore the price for the 9800se will not drop much. There are bringing in lots of pro version card. 9500pro, 9600pro, 9700pro and 9800pro. I guess this is to keep the pro price under control.

Cheers.

Radeon 9800SE

"You think ATI would make the same mistake twice?

Yes I hope they did too."

Yes, I have Radeon 9800SE here for testing and using 8 pipelines works! It's card mady by Club3d, with Hynix ram chips (2.86 n). Used rivatuner soft patch to force 9800 functionality. Stock overclock is 405 core / 365 memory.

Z.

I'm getting the feeling that ATI is making these mistakes on purpose.:p

Those "se" cards are gonna sell like hotcakes methinks.

I think I read yesterday that the 9800SE had only 4 pipelines. I read this at a resellers site and was wondering WTF. It sounded like a 9600! I cannot remember the seller's site..sorry.

alrite, on mydrivers.com , they seem to have tried really hard in softmodding the 9800se, and so far they've only suceeded with one card (out of four) ....

now maybe its that they've hit a bad bunch, but the odds don't look too good for this... i'm seriously thinking about getting one of these cards cause they're very cheap where i live... about 120usd for the really crippled version (4pipes,128bit)... but its still faster than a 5600ultra, so i really have no idea now....

i really need a new card, but i need something with dvi, and where i live a radeon 9800 is really expensive (600usd for an elsa gladiac 9800), all i can see thats within my budget is a 9800se for 120usd, or a 9800se "pro gold version" w/the 256bit bus for about 240usd... but i really don't want to spend twice as much for that "better" version cause it looks just like a 9700, and i've burned one of those vold modding it, and i really don't want another one....

so, any suggestions? and plz don't say "get a nvidia" even though there is a 5600ultra thats pretty cheap... dunno....

Last edited:
Back