• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has ever gotten a mail in rebate back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Who has ever gotten a mail in rebate back?

• Yes, I've recieved all my rebates

Votes: 633 50.7%
  • No, I am still waiting on my rebate check

Votes: 86 6.9%
  • It is mixed, some I have recieved and some I have not

Votes: 411 32.9%
  • I refuse to use Rebate offers

Votes: 118 9.5%

• Total voters
I began tracking rebates in '97 when I couldn't remember whether I was paid for a rebate or not - since then I've tracked 135 rebate submittals for approx $2800 returned to me. I am a confirmed rebate user.

The median payment was returned at 80 days after I submitted it - 11 weeks - not 4-8 weeks claimed on most rebate coupons. The good guys were Intuit, Staples and Microsoft. The longest rebate that I actually received was 286 days after submittal - shortest was 21 days (PNY memory).

The tracking process keeps me sane instead of worrying about whether items are worth it - CompUSA's rebates are a favorite - especially for under $20 items - I figure they allow me to see if i like an item without breaking the bank -

JohnP

I definitely have bad luck with rebates, I think I recieved 3 out of the last even rebates back, but I did recieve the largest rebate ($200) in a timely manner from Dish Network......needless to say I was shocked and amazed because I only paid $99 for the system.:D

SinsFeelNatural said:

Thats what I am saying. lower the prices. I just ignore the rebates now after not getting a couple in the mail.

It's not all as simple as that. If a retail store lowers the price, the retailer takes the price hit. Most retailers operate on less then 10% profit margin for big stuff... sometimes around 5% for high demand items like hard drives, and memory. Sales are often always below cost to the retailer.

Rebates are little perks MANUFACTUERS add in the mix to try and get their product sold more. Manufactuer's take the hit on rebates so the retailer's encourage them only because more items get sold at no loss to their pocket.

As per fry's copying rebate forms. That they do. Most of them are from PDFs sent from the manufactuer though, and they are authorized to copy them so that's not the reason you got rejected.

My adding to this topic is, it seems, many of the rebates get forgotten about till you remind them. It's very easy to give rebates on a complaint basis, if you complain you'll get your rebate "re-sent" to you in a week. That way you're happy you got your rebate, and the manufactuer is happy they only had to send out 5% of them because that's only who complained.

rogerdugans said:
Obviously, I now completely ignore any stated MIR as part of the price- I consider them to be fictional writing :D
That is exactly my opinion on them. Ive gotten a few, and never got squat for most. I dont even consider it part of the "price". If I cant afford it at the no-rebate price, I wont get it.

i always my MIR and i always buy things from playes like compusa, cicuitcity, bestbuy, and amazon.....and i have nerver not gotten it...o yea if u read the fine print(who reads that) it says allow 6-8 weeks to process so it can take up to potentially 9-10 for u to recieve ur MIR, only time i haven't recieved my MIR was for my cell phone off of amazon, it was supposed to be toward a camera for the phone but i never got it, we called and they gave me $50 gift certificate as well as the camera, keep in mind the camera isnt a MIR but a free gift if u buy the phone

Out of roughly 100 rebates I've submitted since 2000, 23 of them were either delivered late (> 3 months, unless more time was specified on the form) or required that I contact the rebate company to get things straightened out. I've always gotten my money -- eventually, with the maximum amount of time being almost exactly 12 months.

If it wasn't for rebates, I would have had to pay for my last six memory modules, last 3-4 CD writers, and all but one of my USB 2.0 cards (I paid only for the worst one).

The way I remember the start of the rebate craze for computer parts, the deals were so good that if the price had simply been lowered, you would have had one person come in the store and buy the entire stock of the item and then resell them. The prices were often lower than mail order even (yes... mail order (or phone) this was way back when Computer shopper magazine was an inch and a half thick and tabloid size). A limited (one per household) rebate was a good answer to this one problem.

I've received all my rebates that I've sent in. They sometimes take 6 months or longer but eventually I get them.

Bull said:
I've received all my rebates that I've sent in. They sometimes take 6 months or longer but eventually I get them.

That's another reason I don't go for rebates anymore because it takes too long to get your money back if you even get it.

I rather save 10 dollars now than put 20 more up front and get 40 bucks back 3 months later.

I have gotten all my mail in rebates back but some of the time it takes them forever just to get it back to you. I don't get why they can't just give you the rebate right when you buy it. They are just hoping people won't send it in and most of them don't. I just think its a pain most of the time.

Just today I got a letter back on an epson one:

Thank you participating in our offer.
Unfortunatly you were missing the following:

Missing information

Please a copy of this email to the follwing adress with the requested information.

:mad:

Thanks for the help :rolleyes: I will now use my psychic powers to determine what it is you want from me.

Back