• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

desk fan idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
modenaf1 said:

awsome idea and mad paint skillz!!!!!!!!!!

but, putting a hs on the cool side of the tec would help distribute the cool air right? and the harder something blows the cooler the windchill so i thought about having dremel/rtx fans

"what are we building this for?"

as far as i know we arent. It is just my daydream lol. but if i had a power ball and a huge amount of time id make it as my own desktop A/C and maybe get a patent on the design and sell it

oooohh!! and id put LED's all over and a uv light and clear uv paint the plexiglass!! he he he he i HAVE lost my mind!! :eek:

Lol, bow to my paint skillz! MWHAHAHAH! :D

The heatsink will be connected to the bottom panel Alum (rest is plexi) and the heatink will be attched to the alum bottom. That way it will pull the heat off w/o it hopefully heating the cool air inside. I would also use UV Blue Led fans. This baby will need to be pimp!

Also having a heatink that helps pull the cold off the pelt/tec would be a good idea. It would creat more surface area. I think I may try to build one for the heck of it when I get enough money. I just want to see if its possible, it should make a very nice desktop AC if it works, if not oh well. Hehehe. :p

Macaddict, your correct TEC is a peltier. Thermo Electric Cooler and pelt are basically the same.

Mico said:
That sure likes like a strange idea, but it might just be crazy enough to work!

EXACTLY, thats what I am hoping. It doesnt hurt to try. :)

Man look how the plans have changed from beginning to now.

OLD
fan%20idea%202.JPG

NEW
deskfanjpg.JPG

On the side view above, you would probably want the heatsinks with the vanes going with the airflow, just in case you didn't think of that. Otherwise, you will get cooling on maybe the first 2 or 3 vanes, and then nothing.

there's one fundamental flaw in the TEC designs. The hot air is despensed into the same room as the cold air. All you would be doing is blowing cold air one way, and even warmer air the other. After a while, your room would warm up. Now, if you vented the hot side outside, like lets say with some insulated dryer hose, then you may have something.

this is a very possable mod, but If I were to do it it would be only two 100 watt TEC's or one 226 watt TEC, because then you need to get a good PSU to power all that.

but my origional idea was a desk fan. this is kinda turning into a box!! my idea was for the front to be farely large and moving alot of air. like a size of 1ft by 1ft. and then have sevral psu's and a couple 100watt pelts. in there.

what inspired me to do think this up was the 30 cent fans aat directron. 92mm too.

Wow, thats some MAD MS Paint Shop Skillz!

A while ago, i had an idea like this, use a TEC to cool air, and have it ducted into your computer, right to your HSF on your processor......i did post a topic about it a while ago.......but it was pretty much rejected.......but the difference......you have pics...heh

And the fact, you could always face it torwards you on hot days, and use it as your own homemade AC.....heh.

just have a way to duct the Hot air out of the room, to outside...or wherever......and there ya go!. Build enough of these, and you could get your comps temps down really far......just because the ambient temps are so low.....

Or what you do.....make this a box, Have it suck Air from the room into the Cool air chamber......And blow the cold air out into the room, but have the back end of it, with the hot Heat sinks and the fans blowing off the heat stick out a window.......bam there ya go. you have you own home made AC unit. heh.

this is a very possable mod, but If I were to do it it would be only two 100 watt TEC's or one 226 watt TEC, because then you need to get a good PSU to power all that.

Most big TECs are semi expensize and need alot of juice. For my idea I plan to use a few small cheap ones from Frys and power it with some daisy chained AT 200W PSUs I got.

modenaf1- I see you busted out your skillz too. Were you holding back from us? Lol. How many TECs do you plan to use?

SniperXX said:

Most big TECs are semi expensize and need alot of juice. For my idea I plan to use a few small cheap ones from Frys and power it with some daisy chained AT 200W PSUs I got.

modenaf1- I see you busted out your skillz too. Were you holding back from us? Lol. How many TECs do you plan to use?

im not sure i was planning on only a few and 100 wat pelts becuase anything more might need watercooling and alot of power.

you guys arent seriouse about doing this are you? if you are, throw in some projecting leds to make it look nice. maybe have red ones going out the back for the hot air and blue ones in the front!!

oh and on the back to make it look cool like a jet engine, not only have red leds, but have a natural gas or propane line run up to it and have a nozzle and light it and flame will shoot out the back!!! or out of the window!! wouldnt that be awsome!!

j/k :D :D

Fushyuguru said:
How about you just buy a desk fan.

Nah thats too easy. Also my desk fan sucks. They never move much air unless you get a bit one. But if its humid like its been here for a little while fans dont do jack. Its just muggy. Now one of these little babies are like mini home made AC units! Lol.

you guys arent seriouse about doing this are you? if you are, throw in some projecting leds to make it look nice. maybe have red ones going out the back for the hot air and blue ones in the front!!

I think I will make one. I really want something to do here, I am bored. :D :p I know I will light mine up. I may integrate it into my custom case I am designing... (I am keeping details secret right now, it will be good). It wouls prolly not be worth it in my new case I am making for a few secret reasons... I cant say w/o giving out too much info. :eek:

Back