• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

desk fan idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

well i was thinking, it would be neat to have a desk fan that REALLY moved some air. so what i was thinking was maybe if someone took some plexiiglass, made a box with a big front, you could maybe put like 15 60 cfm 92mm fans in there, get a psu, put that in there and it would move a TON of air for relatively cheap. my idea is this

fanidea1.JPG

but then, for a more expensive but better one, is this. it would have to be mush smaller becuase it requires more fans and ALOT more power.

fan idea 2.JPG

so tell me, have i lost my mind? If I had a ton of money and time thats what id try to build.

Last edited:
Well first, I think you should explain better. I find it a bit hard to understand what you are saying. Are you talking about attatching a fan mechanisim to the deck to cool the system, or attatching it to the system itself? it seems like it would be a good idea, just not sure I have a clear picture of what you are trying to do.

Yup, I think you have lost your mind- especially when you start adding TECS! lol!

Actually, somebody did do a desk fan unit from pc fans a while ago- should be around here somewhere.....

why not use bigger fans, like 140 mm or hell like i dunno just get 1 really big fan lol

heres what id do, go to home depot and buy a box fan

Intrepid said:
Well first, I think you should explain better. I find it a bit hard to understand what you are saying. Are you talking about attatching a fan mechanisim to the deck to cool the system, or attatching it to the system itself? it seems like it would be a good idea, just not sure I have a clear picture of what you are trying to do.

nope, just making a cool high output deskfan with TEC's to make cool air lol.

but, the question is, do maybe 20 80mm smt fan 2's move more air than a car radiator fan?

OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!! i just got another idea!!!!!!!!!!! ill be back with an ms paint thingy!!

modenaf1 said:
ill be back with an ms paint thingy!!

Haha. Lol.

I like that TEC idea but would it work??? I live in Ca and normal fans dont do squat when moving already hot air, you want cold air. Your TEC idea sould work. I know haveing a fan blow onto a bowl of frozen water makes cold air blow out at you and TECs could work just like ICE.

he should try using the square shape makers. or maybe the text tool. lmao

how hot does the hot side of a TEC get? if you switch to an aluminum casing material couldn't you put the hot side of the tec on that and use the alum framing to take heat off the tec than have fans in the back of the top half of the enclosure pull ing air from outside and blowing it over the cold side of the tecs.

only issue i see is multiple tecs recquire multiple psu's and that's alot of money and heat.

fb9ecbfb.jpg

there that's my idea and you could mount the psu's underneath that in a seperate compartment. make a box than make a floor bisecting it long ways than put this in the top half than the psu's in the bottom have than drill holes in the middle wall to run the cabling from the psu's

meh paint skillz teh pwnage

Last edited:
emericanchaos said:
he should try using the square shape makers. or maybe the text tool. lmao

how hot does the hot side of a TEC get? if you switch to an aluminum casing material couldn't you put the hot side of the tec on that and use the alum framing to take heat off the tec than have fans in the back of the top half of the enclosure pull ing air from outside and blowing it over the cold side of the tecs.

only issue i see is multiple tecs recquire multiple psu's and that's alot of money and heat.

fb9ecbfb.jpg

there that's my idea and you could mount the psu's underneath that in a seperate compartment. make a box than make a floor bisecting it long ways than put this in the top half than the psu's in the bottom have than drill holes in the middle wall to run the cabling from the psu's

meh paint skillz teh pwnage

well, a TEC i think puts out 2 times as much heat as cold :(

modenaf1 said:

well, a TEC i think puts out 2 times as much heat as cold :(

Its still worth a shot. Maybe get 1 or 2 of the small cheap TECs @ Frys. Just have a fan cooling some big heatsinks on the back and blowing the other way. Also, if you combine some old Pentium/ATX PSUs (I got arppox 20!) you could have a cheap way of powering them. I will bust out m4h 1337 p41nt 5k1llz to elaborate.

On the subject, my friend made a soda can chiller with a TEC from Frys. Lol. :D

^^wow you got some good paint skills. i was thinking about the same i just wasn't sure how much heat the hot side of the tec would make so i was thinking if you made the whole thing out of alum than the tec could use the housing as a sink. the heatsink idea is way better, just have to find one that big or several big enough to peice it together.

SniperXX said:

awsome idea and mad paint skillz!!!!!!!!!!

but, putting a hs on the cool side of the tec would help distribute the cool air right? and the harder something blows the cooler the windchill so i thought about having dremel/rtx fans :D :D

"what are we building this for?"

as far as i know we arent. It is just my daydream lol. but if i had a power ball and a huge amount of time id make it as my own desktop A/C and maybe get a patent on the design and sell it :D :D

oooohh!! and id put LED's all over and a uv light and clear uv paint the plexiglass!! he he he he i HAVE lost my mind!! :eek:

Back