• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Linux and WMWARE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

Well I successfully have Linux Red Hat up and running and im slowly but surely updating and installing everything I need. My original goal was to get VMware running Windows XP Pro so I could use some of the few windows-only apps if i so desired, or maybe play a not very graphics intensive game every now and then...just because I could. Now I have VMware installed and everything but it WILL NOT read ANY windows CDs. I tried my XP Pro, my Win 98, my friend's XP Pro but to no avail. Just to see, I started up VMware and had my Red Hat CD (which is a burned copy) in just to see if it would read and it did so just fine. Now of course im not really going to run Linux off of VMware inside of linux but it was just for testing purposes. I have tried setting VMware to use all of the different IDE ports just to see if it might be different but to no avail. I do get a successful boot and can successfully get into the BIOS configurations by pressing F2 at startup. However, everytime i try to get it to boot from the OS CD it says no bootable CD, floppy, or hard drive detected etc. etc. I tried 'cheating' and mounting the disk to a folder and tried to have it read from there but to no avail. I could really use some help. Thanks in advance.

Justin

I run vmware prefectly fine in debian, and have done the same in redhat. Did you have the vmware-config compile new modules based off your kernel source or are you using the pre-compiled ones? Also might want to try to boot off a floppy and what happens. Might also want to shoot vmware tech support a email, they're very helpful, or just search their knowledge base.

I had the vmware-config compile the new modules based off of my kernel source. Would using the pre-compiled ones be better? I just got home from work and haven't got a chance to try anything else yet but will post when I do. Thanks.

Back