• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icantgetanyname

Registered
Ok ... last time i was here i had a 2100 pally ... i got rid of it.
im having worse luck with the new worlds greatest chip the
1700 tbred-b.

it wont even post over @ 150. hell even the other one would do that on some days.

i am the first to admit i have no idea what im doing, ive been reading this forum for several weeks tho and thought raising the fsb should work.

also, im not trying to get 2500 mhz on air like some dedicated peeps, but if i could just hit like 166 x 12.5 which would avoid o/c my ram at all i would be happy.

i know the volcano isnt the best ... but lol it was a better purchase than buying the pally first time out :rolleyes:
thanks for anything ya got on this

oh yea .. and my vcore is still at 1.5 ... it seems the mobo only allows it to increase to ~1.6 :eek:

First of all, set your processor to near-stock speeds using a 166mhz front side bus. Try 9x166 for 1494. This will be more stable than anything just above 150mhz. After this, increase the front side bus as far as possible, while increasing the memory voltage.

ok ... i did so. went up to like 172 @ 9. but at 10 it only went
a little over 150. barely even overclocked at all. kinda embarassing posting this. but ill be dammed if im gonna have the slowest 1700 on the planet.

im using fuzzy logic instead of bios to find out the limits, coz resetting cmos everytime gets tiresome to me. but its restarting the pc when i hit the above #s.

well i reset all the voltages to default. its still running, so something else must be limiting me here. cpu heat?
mobo?

What mem mods do you have? crucial, kingston, or generic PC2700 DDR? what was the memtimings that you had with those mem mods? I'm not to familiar with fuzzy logic, since its propierty stuff from msi, but if you try to find out the very basics 1st, then you'll start to find out the limits of you rig... Specifically, try setting your board to default settings, then manually step up your multiplier on your cpu thru bios settings (if permitted) ie.. FSB timings @ 133FSB/266... default is 11 for the xp1700 @vcore1.50

so, set it at 12 multi, and start the process... with default vcore. full boot into windows, run a couple of stress test, and then reboot, up the multi one step... I dont know what your limit is on the multi, however, log everything down, memtimings, all voltages, fsb and anything else... this keeps you in the know. if your board is limited to 13x multi, then start with the fsb increase until you can't boot up, which u have to increase the vcore one step... also, make sure you check your dividers and keep them in accordance to your fsb speed. Finally, take a good look again, @ altec's newbie guide to oc'ing... alot of good info there. Good luck to you man!

sad thing is i read it and the more detalied one further down

... i dunno where to find out my ram timings, didnt see anything in the bios about it ... programs out there for it ?

but i believe its just generic 2700 ram with some copper heat spreaders from ocsystem. still @ this point, i would have to hit 166 to o/c the ram and with mult >9 i cant do that.

fuzzylogic just allows me to increase the fsb in windows instead
of bios.

at mult = 12 it didnt post @ 150 :mad:
seems like there is something going wrong
pretty early on.

quick update and ill quit bumping this above real overclocks ...
i reseating the HS hoping maybe that would do it ... but nah.
with temps below 40* @ 10x150 i try to bump it to 10x 155 and no post.

or it will post @ 170 x 9. but not x 9.5.

haha i still cant get it to go same speed as the pally it replaced.
maybe if i keep posting here i can sell some1 a dlt3c ... j/k

What chipset is your motherboard using...KT400? Also, I would reccomend not using 3rd party overclocking utilities. They ten to not work as well as just going into your BIOS and doing it manually. I know that it gets tiresome to reset the CMOS a lot, but once you get a good overclock you will realize that it is worth it.

Check out this guide. It may help you to get a little further with that CPU. I doubt that is what is holding you back, but from your posting I cannot really think of what is. The guide should help you to pinpoint what the problem is if you read it and follow the steps. Hope I helped.

Guide: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

altec said:
What chipset is your motherboard using...KT400? Also, I would reccomend not using 3rd party overclocking utilities. They ten to not work as well as just going into your BIOS and doing it manually. I know that it gets tiresome to reset the CMOS a lot, but once you get a good overclock you will realize that it is worth it.

Check out this guide. It may help you to get a little further with that CPU. I doubt that is what is holding you back, but from your posting I cannot really think of what is. The guide should help you to pinpoint what the problem is if you read it and follow the steps. Hope I helped.

Guide: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

arg why did that happen :mad: lost my response.
anyways, it is kt4v-L mobo. prolly one of the worst still in use.
but i would think it could run better than my current best
170*9.0 ... no post @ x9.5

is there some system specs im leaving out that would help
diagnose this ? :confused:

You said you were getting restarts before, what kind of PSU[brand and wattage] are you using?!

If both the pally and t-bred B didnt overclock well maybe its your mobo.

How long have you had the CPU? Maybe it just needs some 'burn in' can do that by folding, or running prime95[preferred] for a good while[6 hours+, maybe for a few nights]. Will also help burn in your memory incase thats involved in the problem.

**EDIT**
You should really use the BIOS to overclock, even thou can be tiresome its alot more reliable donig it that way than software

**end EDIT**

BmanG17 said:
**EDIT**
You should really use the BIOS to overclock, even thou can be tiresome its alot more reliable donig it that way than software

**end EDIT** [/B]

ive been doing that. it lost that post and i didnt retype it.

400w allied psu.
from bios:
vc=1.52
+ 5v= 5.223 -5v=- 5.026
+12v=12.167 -12v=-11.743
batt=3.4v
.5sb=4.969

Last edited:
not sure if you can Power Supply info in the bios. Just open up case and look on the power supply, theres usually a sticker on it that will of course have the brand's name on it, and should have wattage rating in plain view on the sticker.

I really hope you've got the vcore up to 1.6, at least. Realize, the 1700+ stock is 1.5v and 1400 mhz, and you've got it to boot at 1530. That board sure isn't known for its overclocking, but you should be able ot do better. Also, what's your stepping? Try to push your vcore as close to 1.75 as you can go, and then try 166x10, or 166x11. Sometimes certain multipliers don't work very well. Good luck, and if all else fails, think about a Nforce2 board w/PCI lock, some Epox boards are about $80.

vcore only goes up to 1.6 in bios ... guess another limitation on the board. altho it CAN do more, coz the palomino chip i had obviously ran higher.

i see the psu tag .. had the case open for a few days now.
+3.3v=28A
+5v=30A
+12v=15A
-12=.8A
-5=.3A
380W total on the +'s for what its worth.

greenman100 said:
Good luck, and if all else fails, think about a Nforce2 board w/PCI lock, some Epox boards are about $80.

i got no prob paying that $$$ , i just wanna at least get some
experience working with this thing. and figure out which part is
bending me over :eek:

ty for the time u have all taken.

It would be my guess that its the mobo.. I have a worse known stepping and stuff than you.. Im at 2000+ speeds on a k7s5a.. it was $50 :D Not the greatest OC, but not bad for a mobo that doesnt support 300+mhz FSB ;)

so is it pretty much agreed apon THE board to
get is the NF7 v2.0 ??

is there any benefits to any others around
here ?

This is all dependent on how much you want to spend... The NF7 v2.0 is da board to get, if you shop locally, you're pay more than it's worth... newegg.com has a better deal, 95.00 including shipping (ground)... your PC2700 ddr ram, if its not a set that you bought, then you'll be using it in single channel mode, matched set of ddr ram is recommended especially PC3200/3500 if you're thinking about taking the plunge into the higher FSB zone. if not, then be prepared to tweak out your memory settings in order to get up and running on the 200FSB. It's basically up to you on how much you're will to spend on the PC3200 or 3500 ram, just do yourself a favor and read up on your choices on these forums before making a blind purchase. Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin and TwinMos make excellent memory for the nforce2 boards... its all about the $$ your going to spend for QUALITY ddr ram to get you where you want to go. don't go into this without looking at the final numbers $$.

off topic ... did u dave matthews ... i just did in san antonio.

anyways, ... ive seen the $95 one @ newegg.
hell id rather spend it on that than new shoes for the wifey.

im trying to learn as i go. i cant oc @ all basically now, so i want to get a board. see how hi i can take it. if ram limits me ill buy that later. at this point i dunno how to use DC. so ill do some reading as i learn more bout it.

the only thing that confuses me is why the stoopid pally chip will boot higher than the 1700 for me ....

Back