• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock on K6-III+ 450 and K6-2 350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markoman

I've got a K6-III+ overclocked to 550 right now and it's rock solid stable. My MB doesn't allow for higher multiplier or bus speeds. Is there anyway I can overclock this chip anymore? It has a 2.0V core which I'm running at 2.1V currently.

Also, I have another system with a K6-2 350 in it. Am I safe to overclock as long as I have a good heatsink/fan combo? Thanks!

After building and overclocking several of the K6III's (both regular and +) I've seen that the 2X multiplier is changed by the chip to 6X. Although it shows up as 556MHz during POST, tests will show it at the actual 600MHz.
It is my understanding that this is the result of some "tweaking" by AMD, therefore it should work on all motherboards (BIOS issues aside).
I've had a K6III350 to 450MHz and a K6III+450 to 600MHz. Both of them were simple with the standard heat issues, . The 450+ needed a BIOS revision. Both of these were on FIC 503+ boards.(still up and running)

It's refreshing to see a bit af resurgence in the use of the K6 line of proccessors.

Thanks!!! I changed my multiplier to 2X and it recognized it as 6X like you said. Mine comes up as 589Mhz in POST, but it runs at 601Mhz officially, so my tests show. It only runs at 2 degrees Celcius hotter, idle now at 34 degrees. Thanks again!

Oh, any suggestions for my K6-2 350? I've heard they don't overclock very well.

well....i used to have a k6-2 350 and it overclocked like a dream(for k6-2 standards anyways). i had it running solid at 473mhz(4.5x105)

dunno if that is a normal happening, but it worked for me on my asus p5a-b.

I don't understand what you mean by "K62" standards. You got about a 33% increase.That would be like taking a 1.1G T-BIRD to just under1.5G. I don't think that's too shabby by anybody's standards. My experience with those chips was pretty good.

well, what i meant was that normally k6-2s dont oc very well. the standard oc is rarely over 15-20% for a k6-2. which is why i said it was a nice oc for k6-2 standards.

that chip is long gone tho, im running a duron 700 at 1050mhz....pretty cool for a $45 cpu:)

I've also moved on to the socket "A"
DURON 600 @1050 AZUZ A7V
" " 600 FIC AZ11.
But I've still got a K6III+ 350 @ 600 on an FIC 503+. As well as a few other K6's floating around in some of the college dorms of my kids and nieces.
This was the first overclocking project of mine with any appriciatable restults, I like to think that I know those machines inside and out.
A quick little story about one of them;
My niece called me one day to tell me that she was having trouble with the computer that I had built for her. With her being away, out of town troublshooting was a bit tough. By the time she was done she had corrupted the windows. I had her bring it home for spring break and told her that I would fix it. It turned out that she had a bad stick of RAM. But upon opening the case, I couldn't help but notice that one of the case screws was different than the rest. Remember now, I built this system, and being the stickler for detail that I am, I know that I used the correct screws in the case. With her being the typical 20yr old cheerleader type, she wouldn't know what end of the case to remove to begin with.
I don't know what she's learning up there at college but I've learned to assemble them with tamper proof screws from now on!

Thanks for all the assistance! My K6-3+ is now at 600MHz and my K6-2 is at 450MHz. Both are running stable! I had to up the voltage on my 350 (o/c'd to 450) from 2.2V to 2.6V, other than that, everything works great! Thanks again!

Back