• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painted\windowed monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

Recently I painted my old crappy 15" monitor with Navy Blue Krylon Fusion and cut a window in it, and then added dual yellow 6" SVC Cathodes. Here are the pics. Any questions, feel free to ask.
monitormod1.jpg

monitormod2.jpg

monitormod3.jpg

very nice man
like the monitor patteren and the yellow cathodes in it
very nice in the dark
what u should do with a new monitor is put the symblo in the top of the monitor

Nice! I tried to paint mine a couple weeks ago but I got all nervous when all the parts started moving around from screw removal and put it back together. Nice job you braze soul. :)

awsome job!! i love that window! its awsome!

I like the way that keyboard and case match it! are you planning on peint the other keyboard and moniter?

I might paint the keyboard that's black now, because I like it better than the one I already painted. I don't think I'm going to paint the other monitor, it'd be too much trouble for what I'd end up with. That monitor won't even go over 60hz at 800x600 in windows, but oddly in linux it'll do 1024x768 with 75hz rate. Oh well.

Looks good! I was thinking a/b doing this w/ my monitors... but i'm wayyyyy too busy right now.

I like the Cold Cathodes, how did you power it?

I put the inverter inside the monitor and then soldered an extension from the molex plugs to the inverter. Not hard, really. BUT, if you decide to put the inverter inside the monitor, make a metal housing, because when I have the lights on there are barely noticable lines coming down the screen. It's hard to explain --- just put it in a housing or put it in the computer and extend the cables from the inverter to the cathodes.

CliffNotes: powered by molex on comp's power supply, with inverter in the monitor, but don't do it exactly the way I did :D

pummer said:
Recently I painted my old crappy 15" monitor with Navy Blue Krylon Fusion and cut a window in it, and then added dual yellow 6" SVC Cathodes. Here are the pics. Any questions, feel free to ask.
monitormod1.jpg

monitormod2.jpg

monitormod3.jpg

Nice lol you have the same keybaord as me that compac.

LOL GOT mine for 8 bux :D

you should make some sort of a monitor painting tutorial I know I'd be very interested. Painting monitors sounds like it could be reaally difficult... did you take the housing completely off? or just like cover the components?

Steve978 said:
you should make some sort of a monitor painting tutorial I know I'd be very interested. Painting monitors sounds like it could be reaally difficult... did you take the housing completely off? or just like cover the components?
All I did was take the rear part of the casing off of the front part, then use a plastic bag and some paper and some masking tape to cover the innards. Notice how I didn't paint the bottom controls area of the monitor. This was because I didn't take the whole thing apart, so I didn't want to paint over the LEDs.

Lord_Zoltan said:

Nice lol you have the same keybaord as me that compac.

LOL GOT mine for 8 bux :D

Me too, from pricewatch :D

you are sick!

i don't think i'd have the guts to open up my monitor...don't like the thought of bein electricuted (sp) :þ

crazed said:
you are sick!

i don't think i'd have the guts to open up my monitor...don't like the thought of bein electricuted (sp) :þ

Risk a friend dude, lol , get him to open it up, mod it, thne get him to close it, then buy him a beer for every time he gets zapped.

Lord_Zoltan said:
Risk a friend dude, lol , get him to open it up, mod it, thne get him to close it, then buy him a beer for every time he gets zapped.

And if he gets zapped bad enough, you won't have to buy beer!

Back