• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i can't believe this whole time..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
My SLK 800A was not mounted right this whole time. I changed out my motherboard to an a7n8x, cleaned the core and sink, applied fresh AS3. When i mounted the HSF, i noticed it was sitting different, more secure, not as wobbly, and coverd the whole socket.

Before upgrade:

idle 35
load 43

after upgrade and proper mounting

idle 28
load 36

Still can't believe it

Could also just be a difference in the temp sensors of the two different boards. These things are quite inaccurate which is why I find it so strange that people here are constantly quoting their temps and trying to go lower than anyone else. Some people even go as far as to believe that newer BIOS revisions "keep their CPU cooler" Actually the board manufacturer has just changed the sensor settings so it reports a lower temp.
Temp monitoring in computers is a very inexact science.
However, reseating the HS can have a very beneficial effect, so good job :)

My temps whent down alot too. I had a volcano9 that wasnt sitting properly, and when i upgraded my temps droped ALOT! maybe it was a combo of alot of things, such as mounting it proberly, lapping it, using silver compound vs. that white stuff, and a thin layer.

I could not beleive how much my temps droped!

Back