• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Belkin 54g card, good? whats the best 54g card? what do i need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pood

I'm about to setup a wireless network at home.

i was reading reviews from cnet and htey said the Belkin 54g dsl/cable router is pretty good

i just want to share my broadband connection wit the two computers downstairs

also going to get the PCI 54g network adapter from belkin

are these pretty good choices?

total for the router, 2 adapters, its gonna cost me $230 wit shipping.

Is this all i need? any suggestions on other routers/adapaters?

if i just want to share internet, all I need is a router right? not a hub

this is the router

http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_54g_...outer/4505-3334_7-20912424.html?tag=pdtl-list

this is the adapter

http://www.etw.com/ProductInfo.asp?guidSession={1D0E7161-EDDF-4788-9A5D-C5C5539DBDDA}&guidMerchantProduct={236EE356-7BAC-468B-8073-1971C40198A4}
thanks

I've heard a lot of problems with Belkin networking products. They started making office accessories and now trying their hand at networking. I would stick with the proven companies like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link.

I have a Netgear WGR614 and Linksys PCI 802.11g and Linksys PC Card 802.11g.

-Bobby

i would second the linksys suggestion. if you're just using the wireless network for internet, maybe it'd be better to go with the 802.11b standard, a lot cheaper. if not, 802.11g is perfect. i'd suggest the linksys wrt54g router ($129 at www.googlegear.com) if you're going linksys. The pci and pcmcia card are also available at googlegear.com.

hmm, alright

the other thing i forgot to add is

I'm switching to cable connection and theres no cable socket in the current room, but in the next there is one. I'm thinking of just putting that router in that room (no computers) so all my ocmputers can use the cable connection

I have a 2Wire router, and a Linksys WiFi B card.

Incredibly easy to set up and maintain. I don't know if 2Wire makes G routers tho, since my network is B, even tho my Linksys is a A B G adaptor.

pood said:
hmm, alright

the other thing i forgot to add is

I'm switching to cable connection and theres no cable socket in the current room, but in the next there is one. I'm thinking of just putting that router in that room (no computers) so all my ocmputers can use the cable connection

that should be fine. and if it ends up being you don't get enough signal throught out the house, you can get some third party antennas for the router. www.fab-corp.com has a nice selection. the ones for the linksys router are under "antennas omni", and about 7 products down, you will find 5.5 dbi rubber duck antennas. +3b increase from stock, means about twice your range.

that 2wire homeportal is $400
cant spend more than $230

Back