• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 keeps crashing to low res..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im still skeptical on the L12 mod. But id probably do the L12 before messing with the NB. Thought I plan to put better cooling on my NB.. im just more interesting in playing games on my computer right now. Gonna give tweaking a little break... if I can... theres always that drive to squeeze every drop of performance out of my components.

FSB is life........

I still can't believe this card, I guess I got a really good one :p

I wish 2k1 made everybody run a full test to publish a score, half the guys ahead of me(15), ran only the first 4...........

Done Fritzy? :p

Back in the game........ all installed just as you said.

13795, so a gain of about 250points.

I'll keep playing around through the day, and see if it crashes back to low-res, but seems fine so far.

Cheers

Is that score pretty normal???

Its not terrible but it should be higher.. check the control panel and make sure AA and AF are off. When you 1st install the drivers I think at least one is on.

And since you havent posted a problem for about 4 hours it would seem its fixed?

Give us more info on your system.. you know is it oced? FSB? All that stuff. And give us a linky to your 3dmakr2k1 score so we can analyze it.

Cheers........ everything is stock standard. When you say turn them both off.... I take it you mean slide the slider at the top of the Open GL & Direct 3D tabs.

They were in the middle earlier.

I'll try to find that link and put it in soon.

Has been rnning Prime95 & 3D-02 all afternoon without a hitch. Took the risk and installed 3D-03.... went okay (4300ish). Ran it a 2nd time, and it froze on the Nature scene.

Odd.

hmm yeah that is odd...

But yeah take the sliders all the way down so they are at application preference for AA and AF.

For texture quality for some reason.. when I set it to highest I get a better score... dont ask me why it lowers on performance mipmap and texture quality but it does for me.

what the?

Go to your project manager... then copy the compare URL. I click on that you gave and it takes me to my own 3dmark2k3 project.

Fritz can you give me the writing that is on memory chips. I want to determine the speed and brand of your memory. Because those 9700's overclock very well on the core. And if you have the 2.8ns memory on there you pretty much have a 9700pro.

Your scores are fine for completely stock. When and if you OC... the video card and/or system you will see good gains.

Infineon SGRam
HYB25D1283230-3.3

I'm guessing the 3.3 at the end is the ram speed. Shame.

Last edited:
Okay..... so what is the best program for doing that (and do I have to do anything to the card 1st??

Now for the bad news.....

Last night, while doing nothing in particular, the screen went blank, and the green indicator light on the monitor turned back to orange, but it was obvious the computer was still running fine.

A reboot, and all seemed fine.

Tonight, I installed Rage3D-tweak 38c, so I could pump up the memory.

Bumped the core up to 285 and ran 3DMk02 once. Similar score to stock. Right-clicked the desktop to push things a bit further, and the screen froze like the initial problem, for a couple of seconds, then sure enough, dumped back to low res.

Reboot, and right-click the screen to reset to default speeds, and the monitor tabs all stay white and do not fill up, and the screen is locked. Dumped back again.

Into safe mode and a successful uninstall of Rage3D and that's where I'm at right now.

Any further thoughts??

damn... I dont know what to tell you. Its possible that you just got a bad card. I cant think of why else it would happen...

Maybe you should try contacting ATI tech support... I dunno. Maybe just RMA the card. This is a really weird problem.

Sorry dude...... missed your post in my haste.

Antec 480W Truepower, so shouldn't be a problem there.

Just rang the supplier, and this card is probably the same batch as the previous one (which was doa) so he wants all the detals, and I will probably RMA again.

Wouldn't mind hangin out until the 9700's are no longer available though, then they might have to give me a 9800?? We'll see.

I downloaded another modded ATI 3.6 driver (the one with the control panel supposedly built in. It would install fine with the non-hacked version, but as soon as I tried to install the hacked version, it said I didn't have the right sort of hardware for that version. Very strange.

Anyway, after much more farting around, and uninstalling all ATI stuff again, then reinstalling the genuine 3.6's from the ATI site, still the same dumping back to low res, so I'm buggered if I know what to do next.

Last edited:
Cheers........

Will do

=== UPDATE ===

Seems to run fine on the highest settings (with the sliders both set completely across to the right)

Benches are slow 3DMk02=8675 & 3dMk03=2052 but seems to be as stable as. Real wierd and not especially what I was looking for in a video card, but there you go.

Any more ideas???

Last edited:
Back